Styrofoam?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by orangecatrex, Mar 7, 2009.

1. orangecatrex

orangecatrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    I recently found out the hard way that my birds will eat almost anything. My husband left a large piece of styrofoam out for the trash pick-up but before the trashmen got it the birds had a round of snacks from it. Will it pass? Do they need medicine? It happened about a week or so ago and i have withheld any more styrofoam from them. No one seems in distress, but my main concern is will it pass.??? I haven't noticed any "droppings" with the foam.....

2. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

He said "I love styrofoam!!!"

Well mine goes crazy for it too and I have read from others that it just passes through them.... not a problem. I havent had any ill effects in my birds from eating it.

3. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    Mine have eaten it with no ill effects. I do try to keep it away from them noe that I know how much they like it. A diet of it can not be good in the long run so learn to say no to styrofoam.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The dumb birds love that stuff.

I put one of those faucet covers on my house and couldn't figure out why it had holes in it. The resident yard sharks had been pecking at it! [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If styrofoam is dangerous, my chickens would have been dead long ago.

6. orangecatrex

orangecatrex Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:Yard Sharks that's so funny.[​IMG] Well gang thanks for the info. No one seems sick but just thought i'd aks.

Thanks again

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Someone posted a while back that their hen had eaten a lot of styrofoam, and laid an egg that was speckled with the stuff.

Self-insulating, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by