Subcutaneous Emphysema- Pictures Added

"Subcutaneous Emphysema

This may occur due to acute trauma or infection, usually involving the cervicocephalic air sacs. Air under the skin, while alarming to the owner, is not usually life-threatening. The condition may be temporarily relieved by the insertion of an appropriate gauged needle or IV catheter, which allows the air to escape. However, unless the cause is uncovered and treated, the air may reoccur. Stress, vocalizations or increased respirations will usually cause the SQ emphysema to come back, and in some cases, it may come and go. SQ emphysema may be present anywhere from the top of the head, to the neck, under the wings and across the chest. This must be differentiated from aerophagia resulting in air in the crop. A fractured pneumatic bone may also result in SQ emphysema."
Source:
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/dvms/criticalcare.html

Last edited:
Not in chickens..............humans are another story. Has she been injured at all? Any respiratory distress? If she's not in any distress, this will usually go away over time. It's sometimes caused by trauma to the lung and sometimes no cause is found (in humans). If it keeps recurring, you might want to see a vet if she's precious to you. Not much help I know, perhaps someone here has personal experience,Sue
Hi,

A fox got into my kitchen by following the hens hentry door I’d put in so I can close my back door in the winter but the ex-caged hens can still find refuge.)

Two hens were killed. Two were untouched, one had horrible-looking flesh wounds (vet stitched her/antibiotics & she’s ‘a still going) and another lost feathers on her back, had bubbly breath when first found, but that subsided within an hour.

In the 10 days since then, she’s had an evident problem with the right side of her abdomen. The vet said it was probably a puncture wound and has given me antibiotics for her.

I’m now pretty sure it’s a ruptured air sack. She seems comfortable and fully mobile. She’s eating and still laying (!) and isn’t showing any signs of illness.

Do you know if it’s likely to heal itself or need to be treated/deflated? Any advice welcome.

Back
Top Bottom