Subdued hen, diarrhea, possibly due to spoiled food

Only sometimes is there blood in the poop. My hen had coccidiosis and there was no blood. Can you describe her stance?

Sort of a normal 'at rest' position but with lowered tail. Her head is not really lowered down but not lifted as though alert. Occasionally she lifts her tail up to the usual position. She will sometimes walk around a little and peck at something but movements are slow. This afternoon she was eating mushed up boiled egg with wet layer pellets, and drinking water with Chick Boost.

Hello, I'm a new member, so I hope I'm doing this right!
I have a 6 month old blue copper marans hen who is unwell. About 3-4 days ago I noticed she was acting subdued. Her tail was down and comb seemed floppier than usual, but not pale. She's not laying but none of my 5 hens are laying much right now. The rest seem very healthy though. She was eating and drinking still but not a lot. She had some yellow/white diarrhea under her vent. She was not getting bullied.
I searched BYC and noticed people asking about spoiled food, but it wasn't clear what condition this could lead to. I think it could have been bad food that caused her illness because I noticed clumping in the food. I've thrown this food away now. I've been giving her some water with Chick Boost (electrolytes and probiotics). But her condition has not improved over the last two days, in fact she seems a bit weaker, and is eating/drinking less.
Any thoughts on what the problem could be given that it may have been caused by bad food? And how to treat her?
I tried feeling her crop but wasn't really sure what to feel for... it seemed similar to the other hens.
Would greatly appreciate any advice!
Thanks.

Here is the poop on her butt and some from under the roosting perch. I couldn't find much else.

In the last photo you can see how green her poop is compared to the other poop under the roost.
I think I would try a molasses flush to see if that helps.
Mix 1teaspoon of Molasses into 1/4 cup of water have her drink all of it. This may help flush out any toxins if she ate moldy feed.

If possible, take a sample of her poop to your vet to have some testing.

I doubt it's Coccidiosis.

Ok, thank you I will try that.

I have attached a photo which shows her stance.

Attachments

• 3FA25659-7A84-48F9-926C-4EA3841E1A4E.jpeg
    3FA25659-7A84-48F9-926C-4EA3841E1A4E.jpeg
    861.9 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the thoughts, and the welcome! I'm not sure if it could be coccidiosis, I have not noticed any blood in the poop, and they were fed medicated chick starter when young.
How did you identify coccidiosis as the most probable cause Jackie-83?
Looked at poop. Drooped over comb. Lack of color in comb. Disheveled appearance. Lack of energy. Symptoms just check the most boxes. Combined with the environmental factor of being confined to their run (which in my opinion is not large enough for 6 chickens) for a month. Coop and run not cleaned as well as it should have been.

Back
Top Bottom