Lethargic young point of lay chook with diarrhea

mezradine

Hatching
Apr 3, 2024
Hi, after some care instructions.

New illness, young chook now separated.

Wyandotte point of lay, one of the smaller/younger two of the flock but looks a good size for breed. I think she laid her first egg in the last week or so (not 100% sure but there was a new coloured egg in the box and her face went red). Healthy feathers.

Since yesterday been reluctant to forage and standing still away from others a lot, also closing her eyes a lot. Mouth very slightly open but not struggling to breathe or anything. Drinking and eating but minimal. She can still walk/run/fly etc. and was hard to catch.

Very runny diarrhea.

Other 6 chooks + rooster seem ok other than some mild diarrhea in the others. I'm letting them out to free range a lot as they're newly blended etc. and doing my best with hygenie. As well as the free range they have a large chook house (converted garden shed) and permanent outside run (grass) at least 10 x 4m.
Newly blended flock about a month or so, so a bit of bullying etc. but the wyandotte is best mates with the rooster and not being obviously bullied by anyone.
No signs of injury or trauma.
I did have roundworms in the flock last year, successfully treated at the time.

First signs were yesterday. I have her separated in a dog crate away from the flack. In garage overnight and outside now because a mild day. Today she's mostly just standing, often closing eyes, doesn't seem interested in food even treats. Only poo is very liquid.

Any tips on care? Electrolytes? (I think she's drinking more than eating).
I have wormed the main flock today but not sure whether to worm her while she is unwell, though might be the cause?

Appreciate any ideas.

Meredith

Last edited:
After worming, they should get probiotics. That would help with the diarrhea sometimes caused by de-worming. I'm not saying that's the cause of this, but regardless, probiotics can help with runny poo. Sugar-free Greek yogurt is very high, or I tend to use powders added to water like Hydro-Hen.

I initially thought she sounded like coccidiosis but free-ranging chickens rarely get that.

Things you could try to get her to eat are adding water to her feed to make like oatmeal. Scrambled eggs are also usually scarfed up by chickens.

See if any of this perks her up or if you find she's degrading or has other symptoms, let us know. I hope she improves quickly!

After worming, they should get probiotics. That would help with the diarrhea sometimes caused by de-worming. I'm not saying that's the cause of this, but regardless, probiotics can help with runny poo. Sugar-free Greek yogurt is very high, or I tend to use powders added to water like Hydro-Hen.

I initially thought she sounded like coccidiosis but free-ranging chickens rarely get that.

Things you could try to get her to eat are adding water to her feed to make like oatmeal. Scrambled eggs are also usually scarfed up by chickens.

See if any of this perks her up or if you find she's degrading or has other symptoms, let us know. I hope she improves quickly!
Thanks so much for the reply.
I tried scrambled egg yesterday and yoghurt but she isn't really eating, nor drinking that I can see, so I'm off to the Vet.
Good tips for keeping the others healthy and will get some advice from the vet on that too.

Thanks so much for the reply.
I tried scrambled egg yesterday and yoghurt but she isn't really eating, nor drinking that I can see, so I'm off to the Vet.
Good tips for keeping the others healthy and will get some advice from the vet on that too.
Good luck!

Welcome to BYC, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom