Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hi there, thank you for reaching out! :) I had a very unfortunate year with my rafter.. half of my chickens got racooned. Once we caught the bugger all was well for a while. Then one evening whilst I had the turkeys out free ranging, a pack of coyotes swooped in and got ALL of my brood! It all happened so fast and quiet, within 10 minutes all of my turkeys were completely gone or dead. 6 bourbon reds, 4 norfolk black, and all 8 of my recently hatched norfolk poults.. along with the rest of my chickens. I am taking a break this year, I am still a bit devastated. Taking this season to clean out the coop and do some rearranging, as well as try to get more security. I do have 3 chickens at the moment, but the wind is pretty out of my wings right now. Hope everyone is doing well :)
Sorry for your losses! Hope all is better soon

It has been a while since I posted, but I do read through the posts quite a bit. There is such a wealth of information here and I'm a noob so I mostly keep my comments to myself. LOL.

I have 6 chicks in the brooder and will be building a new coop this summer (one where I can access the eggs without walking through the run and inevitably stepping in chicken poop!). The chicks are just over 4 weeks old so stay tuned for more photos as I would love some help with sexing them again this year. I'll will post some photos of my coop build as well. In the mean time enjoy the one photo I have of them settling down for a nap where most are in focus (usually half of them are a blur of motion in group photos).

Cheers!View attachment 3816150
So adorable! ❤️

I have some Wyandotte eggs that are presently half way incubated.

A couple of days ago I got up for a leak about 2 in the morning and discovered the incubator was cold and the eggs were cold to touch, it was the AC DC adapter that was faulty.
I lost 5 eggs that I know of, the rest are developing but whether they will hatch or not is debatable. The only reason I used an incubator is that I only have two spare broodies which are Miniature OLD English Game Bantams and can only cover four big eggs. Needless to say the eggs I gave them are doing perfectly. I expect I will end up with the chickens I need.

I have spent the last few days working my butt off on a new chicken shed, I only finished it today, take a butchers !
Nice!!!! :love

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Still around...we have just gotten a new flock of 7 day-old chicks and built a new brooder & coop. We had to sell everything over a year ago because our township decided we weren't allowed to have chickens - even though we had them for years. They just changed the bylaws now, so we're back on. I guess it was time for a reboot. This time it will be a nicer coop with all the bugs worked out that we learned from the last batch. I appreciate having y'all for answers and it's fun to read about other's chickens and see their pictures - when I have time. Here's a picture of them in the homemade brooder with their first clump of sod to try out. They are only 2.5 weeks old here.

Attachments

• PXL_20240427_140602328.jpg
    PXL_20240427_140602328.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 3
We have our 6 year old girl, Bubbles, who lays a couple of eggs a week. I think she's a production red. I have a new crop of pullets who almost ready to lay! 3 rhode island reds (all named Gwen after the Spider Man meme), an easter egger named Carol, an Australorpe named Monica, and barred rock named Kamala. We're rebuilding our coop this summer, too.
Glad you are doing well! Cant wait to see the new coop!

Had my older bantam Wyandottes hatch some bantam faverolles last summer before selling the Wyandottes this spring.

The faverolles are very cute and my son loves them, I had a very friendly handsome rooster but one of my neighbors hated the crowing so had to sell him. I have found the faverolles lay smaller eggs then the Wyandottes but I love their cute looks and very friendly personalities so its a ok trade off.

View attachment 3811993
Thanks for the update! Adorable photo!

Still around...we have just gotten a new flock of 7 day-old chicks and built a new brooder & coop. We had to sell everything over a year ago because our township decided we weren't allowed to have chickens - even though we had them for years. They just changed the bylaws now, so we're back on. I guess it was time for a reboot. This time it will be a nicer coop with all the bugs worked out that we learned from the last batch. I appreciate having y'all for answers and it's fun to read about other's chickens and see their pictures - when I have time. Here's a picture of them in the homemade brooder with their first clump of sod to try out. They are only 2.5 weeks old here.
Welcome back! I'm glad that you are able to get chickens again. That is very exciting. I absolutely love your brooder setup! How did you get a window in it? It looks awesome!

Back
Top Bottom