Unwell chook with bizzare eye!

Thespanishflea

Hatching
Feb 14, 2024
Hi everyone,

I currently have a chook who has been spending a lot of time over the past few days sitting in the coop.

She does not look very well and I'm quite sure she's not broody.

I noticed she had something funky going on with one of her eyes and that one of her pupils seems to be non existent and whitish. There's no other discharge, wheezing, sneezing or coughing happening.. she's just not well.

Thinking perhaps the eye situation has something to do with it. Maybe a worm or something? I fear she may no make it. I've attached some photos for assistance.

IMG20240215151108.jpg
IMG20240215151124.jpg

That eye looks swollen around it to me. I would try a saline rinse, then put Terramycin ointment in it and do this twice a day. If when you rinse the eye you can see any pus, pull/squeeze it out.

You can make a saline rinse if you don't have any or don't want to buy it.

Eight teaspoons of table salt added to 1-gallon jug of distilled water to produce a normal saline solution.

or

Boil one cup of water with a lid on for 15 minutes
Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature
Add half a teaspoon of salt and stir until dissolved
Pour the solution into a jar or bottle and cover

You might also try some painkiller so she'll start eating again. My vet gave my rooster Meloxicam when he had an eye injury. I don't know if chickens can take aspirin.
If the terramycin ointment doesn't help she may need to see a vet for oral antibiotics.

So is it likely an infection then?
Like I suggested, in that one photo, it looks swollen compared to the other to me, so infection is my first guess. I'd try what I suggested if you have no other options or a vet to see her.

Terramycin can be used to treat superficial eye infections in birds, such as conjunctivitis, keratitis, and corneal ulcers. Apply a small amount of Terramycin to a Q-tip and apply it to the eye 2–4 times a day until the condition is gone.

I'd say it was hurt, the eye, and she may have an ulcer. If her eye becomes cloudy and blue or whitish it is indeed infected. She will need antibiotics. But since her pupils are unequal it could also mean a head trauma. I'd keep her separated for a few days with food and water. Maybe call up your vet and see what you couldnpick up antibiotic wise from your local feed store or from the vet if she's something you truly love. Otherwise I'd separate and leave her alone and monitor her for a few days.

Hi everyone,

I currently have a chook who has been spending a lot of time over the past few days sitting in the coop.

She does not look very well and I'm quite sure she's not broody.

I noticed she had something funky going on with one of her eyes and that one of her pupils seems to be non existent and whitish. There's no other discharge, wheezing, sneezing or coughing happening.. she's just not well.

Thinking perhaps the eye situation has something to do with it. Maybe a worm or something? I fear she may no make it. I've attached some photos for assistance.

View attachment 3748328View attachment 3748329
The more I look at it, it seems to be either a blown pupil or an ulcer.

I think I would do some research about the ocular form of Mareks disease. It may cause the colored iris to change color over time and the pupil to to become irregular shaped. A cloudy lens is sometimes present. Is she having any trouble walking or balancing. The ocular form of Mareks may be the only symptom, or there could be other forms. There is a similar picture in the link below:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publ...rusinduced-neoplastic-diseases-mareks-disease

Back
Top Bottom