Submissive hen? Squatting, Pecked

AllChookUp

Will Shut Up for Chocolate
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Frozen Lake, MN
I have about a dozen hens, mix of BOs and GLWs (all about 9 months old). I recent relocated a rooster out of my coop due to his aggressive behavior.

Before I made the coop roosterless, he was starting to tear up some of the hens' tailfeathers, as rooster can do with their spurs.

It's been a couple months now, and most of the hens' tailfeathers have grown back.

I've noticed one hen, though, whose tailfeathers not only have not grown back, even more of them seem to be gone. I'm guessing she is being pecked by at least one of the others.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I surprise her or walk up behind her suddlenly, she squats. Is this a sign that she is submissive and "used" to being pecked?

I'm also guessing I'll need to make a temporary saddle. Not sure how to do that, but I've heard they can be made from duct tape. I'll check around on the site, but if anyone has a special method that works best, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks!

she squats because she is submitting to you - she thinks you're a handsome and dominant rooster and is welcoming a little lovin'
smile.png
She's just confused is all. As for being pecked, it sounds like she's at the bottom of the pecking order... and the other hens aren't treating her well. I don't have advice for that, but I'm sure others do!

Yes, they've been laying steadily since November. The thing is, she squats no matter when I walk up to her, whether she's laid already for the day, or not.

When I reach out to give them a scritch or a pat; or to snag them up for a hug and check under their wings etc, I get the squat. Raised from chicks. No rooster. The old submissive squat. Like my dog rolls over and shows his belly, or my cats roll over and show their belly then a heart beat later absolutely whale on my hand!

I wish mine would squat! They run for cover, or keep their distance. Maybe since they went right into the coop/run when they were little. We didn't handle them alot once they went outside. They were July 1 babies. One modification I could use is a opening in the fence around their run. It kills me not to be able to reach in and "say HI" more often.
sad.png

I've begun to let them free range outside the run in the late afternoon, early evening. That way they don't roam too far from the yard! Then they return for bedtime, better than children do.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom