Substitute feed?

Guessing you prolly got your food thought to post this anyway.
Things to use
Maize ground corn about 9 percent protein used more for energy
Oats about 12 percent protein high in fibre used more for energy
Lentils low in fat higher in protein should be cooked first till soft 1 PART TO 2 PARTS MAIZE
Bananas lots vitamins, minerals, high in lysine low in protein
Winter squash cut up left pieces for chickens > seed high in protein and prolly high in fat squash itself be good for chickens low in protein
Fish meal high in protein 40 to 60 percent
cat food.... high in protein
sardines in water... high in protein

You could take some of the aboves ingredients and mix them, oats I would not use more than 20 percent though said can be up to 40 percent in ration oats is very high fibre. Oats has beta glucan fed to much bad for chickens.
so could mix 1 lb corn 1/2 lb cooked lentils, some bananas, throw in your cat food to bring protein value higher and extra vitamins mineral, omega 3, and make a mash and be off to the races. throw the cut up squash for the chickens to keep bz in between.
sprouted lentils is better just a note

There are lots of ingredients which can be used, but not overdue any one ingredient and have the ingredients compliment each other.

just food for thought.

Last edited:
I ran out of chick feed and my order is coming this Tuesday. What can I substitute for chick feed for my 3 and a half week old chicks?
Cheerios, corn flakes, cooked rice (never raw! as it swells in their gut to the point of death), pasta, scrambled eggs, canned or dry corn, beans, lentils, peas, any canned frozen or fresh veggies, cooked meat, worms you've dug up, grasses, weeds, cat food, dog food, fish food, fish. Just please understand that all of these foods will most likely cost more than any bag of chicken food. It's tough to beat .20¢ a pound at the feed store vs. $1 a pound (minimum) at the grocery store. We feed store bought feed but we also toss nearly all of our scraps to our chickens. Nothing moldy, but all wilted, stale, and most left overs. The dog's not happy about it but the chickens come running!

Back
Top Bottom