Substitute feed?

I ran out of chick feed and my order is coming this Tuesday. What can I substitute for chick feed for my 3 and a half week old chicks?
Chickens at that age need high protein...do you have mealworms? They also eat part grain and corn...any of those? I also recommend adding some electrolytes into their water. I am not super skilled at knowing everything in grower feed, but these are only a few things I know chicks need, there may be more...and I don’t know the exact amount of everything, so you might want someone more knowledgeable to chime in. Although I think that even if they don’t get exactly what they need, two days should be fine.

Some things they could eat...

barley
Wheat
Rice (not much protein and though)

flax
Seeds (for protein)
Mealworms
Other bugs
Grass (has protein)

Do you have any other feed? If you have cat food you can always grind it up and give it to the chicks. At 3.5 weeks old I wouldn't try being too inventive as they grow very fast and need certain nutrients. I'm sure others have better options. Good luck and have fun...

Chickens at that age need high protein...do you have mealworms? They also eat part grain and corn...any of those? I also recommend adding some electrolytes into their water. I am not super skilled at knowing everything in grower feed, but these are only a few things I know chicks need, there may be more...and I don’t know the exact amount of everything, so you might want someone more knowledgeable to chime in. Although I think that even if they don’t get exactly what they need, two days should be fine.

Some things they could eat...

barley
Wheat
Rice (not much protein and though)

flax
Seeds (for protein)
Mealworms
Other bugs
Grass (has protein)
Do you have any other feed? If you have cat food you can always grind it up and give it to the chicks. At 3.5 weeks old I wouldn't try being too inventive as they grow very fast and need certain nutrients. I'm sure others have better options. Good luck and have fun...
I do have mealworms which I have given them a few times, I saw on the internet to give them oatmeal and cooked egg. I also have cat food. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom