1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Substitute for an egg ring

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by southernsibe, Jun 19, 2008.

1. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    Lanexa, Virginia
    I am trying to make a sort of egg mcmuffin for my kids to eat on the go. I don't have an egg ring and would like not to buy one. I've used a muffin tin on top of the stove, I don't want to have to turn on the oven to do this, the point is easy and quick. The muffin tin worked, but it wasn't ideal.

Does anyone else do this? I'd love any ideas or suggestions.
    Thanks
    Rachel

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Cookie cutters work.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've used a canning lid ring.

4. southernsibe

southernsibe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2007
    Lanexa, Virginia
    How do you keep the egg from running out of the bottom of the cookie cutter, do you press down on it until the bottom cooks?
    Rachel

5. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I don't have an egg ring, but I have used biscuit cutters. You might be able to poach them in small bowls if you are only looking for the right size.

6. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Tuna cans (washed, of course!) are about the right size but I don't know if the egg would seep out the bottom.

Good luck! An eggamuffin sounds REALLY good right now!

7. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Let the pan get really hot first before you drop the egg in so that it sets alot faster and won't seep out of the cookie cutter. You can also hold it down for a couple of seconds too.

8. jaruca

jaruca Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    Georgian Bay, ON
  9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The pan has to be hot, cooking temperature, before you start.

You can use a tuna can, a canning ring, a biscuit cutter, a cookie cutter for shapes that makes kids smile - all sorts of things. I make heart shapes. [​IMG]

If your pan is cooking temp before you start the egg will cook on bottom very fast and it won't leak out.

10. joanne810

joanne810 New Egg

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a 16oz corning ware soufflé dish. I spray some Pam in it. I scramble or just crack two eggs in it. You can also add veggies or cheese. Microwave about two minutes. Slips right out of the dish. Perfect size for a bagel or English muffin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by