substrate for days old chicks

Saerasx

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Beaverton, OR
I'm sure this has been asked but what is the best substrate for the little fluffies? I'm counting down the days and would like to have everything prepped. My concern is straddle leg...I do have a brinsea in the brooder so no worrying about fires. I've heard everything from d towels to plain pine shavings. What is the best/most efficient?

I used to use pine shaving but have now switched to sand and am really happy with it. Very easy to do quick little cleanings in between big cleanings because you have just scoop like its cat litter. Also, if the chicks eat it -- no big deal, it's just grit.

I used to use pine shaving but have now switched to sand and am really happy with it. Very easy to do quick little cleanings in between big cleanings because you have just scoop like its cat litter. Also, if the chicks eat it -- no big deal, it's just grit.

Good idea! I've been seeing posts about sand. Would a farm supply store carry it? Is there a specific type of sand?

I've seen an x-ray of a chicken who ate sand bedding and had it all stuck in her intestines throughout. I am scared of sand.. :S

I use paper towel for the first few days and switch to kiln dried pine. You can't compost sand, but shavings break down easy.

I also use the paper towels for the first couple of days. When I first started out I used newspaper but I quickly found out that they couldn't get much traction and I had to Band-Aid their legs. So I stopped that. Now I use really small pine shavings that my local feed store sells. They work great!!

I have a 4'x4' coop off the ground about 2' and use a poop tray. I have it covered in plastic and have a thin layer of sand and scattered a few wood chips in on top. I also mix ag lime to keep the smell down. I clean it every day and have found this to be the easiest for me so far.

I used paper towels for the first couple days and now I toss in some timothy hay on top of the paper towels. Gives them something to scratch in and keep busy plus smells nice.

I used that cheap waffle weave drawer liner from Dollar General.
One layer lasts about 3 days, then I replace it. I use a layer of
paper underneath the drawer liner.
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western PA

Back
Top Bottom