suburb says chickens are a problem

sheisaeval

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Hello!

I don't have any chickens now because I don't own a house, but hoping to buy maybe in the next year.

Anyway, I'm currently doing some research on city ordinances on keeping chickens in the potential suburbs I'm researching, and one suburb that I've emailed asking about this responded with:
"We have had them in the past(still prohibited) and believe me it did not work out well for the
resident. We got numerous complaints about the chickens running around
all over the neighborhood. Also some predators such as Bobcats, Foxes,
Coyotes and the like in the neighboring yards trying to get to the
chickens. Chickens also will attract snakes to their young and the eggs
as well. This is an animal for all the green issues they can provide
such as fresh eggs etc and less expensive food sources can cause lots of
neighborhood issues that are undesirable for a populated town. Hope this
is helpful."

What is everyone's opinion on this? Does it hold some truth? Do you think these problems and complaints are all valid?

I will probably end up not moving to this suburb since some of the nearby ones do seem to allow chickens, but just wanted to know what everything thinks.

Oh, and I'm in the DFW area in Texas. Hello to anyone who's from here!!

Thanks

Outside cats, kittens, dogs and puppies, rabbits and any other outdoor animals will attract predators if they are in the area. That said, unless you are way out in the country (which means a LONG way from the metroplex--I know Dallas), some of those are unlikely to be common problems. You will likely have skunks, and possibly oppossum. I doubt you will have bobcats, foxes or coyotes (unless, as stated you are out in the country, in which case you are likely to have them). Loose dogs are likely to be a bigger threat. I doubt snakes are any more likely to show up in a neighborhhod yard with chickens than in a neighborhood yard without them. Of course, if you DO have problems, you will need to relocate the snake or dispatch it so that it does not learn where to find chicks or eggs for food. Large snakes may eat grown birds, especially small ones, but once again..not all that likely to find in town.

It is not that difficult to contain chickens so that they remain on one's own property and do not run around the neighborhood. Doing so should be a given.

I'm not quite sure I understand why they are opposed to them for being "green"?

Chicken Nazis!
barnie.gif

Quote:
Dog , with thier Dog food and waste and humans and trash day, attract more mice and rats, which attract Coyotes and snakes. More so than with any chickens that happen to be loose..

Sounds like that the previous chicken owner did not take good care of his/her chickens.

I am, almost, tempted to tell you to reply back and ask what was the exact problem, was there a breach in the fence and the person did not take care it, etc...

The email is too ambigious and broad.

What suburb are you considering moving to? I am in Dallas and am interested in owning chickens too, so I would like to know that it's not mine.

Back
Top Bottom