Success!!! and a note of thanks!!!!! Pic Heavy!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by VaM715, Mar 26, 2008.

1. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my questions in the last 30 days. This was my first hatchattempt. I sat 38 eggs in a used Hovabator w/ turner. I candled at day ten but the brown eggs were to dark for a newbie to really see. I did find two that glowed so I knew they were not fertile, leaving me with 36 eggs. Using the carton method I hatched 35 complete chicks, lost only one, I think the others sat on him and had one upside down that pipped, but didn't make it out. I now have Pure Partridge Cochins, Pure Black Marans, and a mix of Amercuna, Delaware, Wyandotte, Cuckoo MAran and Austrolorp. Don't know what I'll do with them.Besides love them. Thanks again to all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

3. farmerchuck

farmerchuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    Epping, NH
    GOTTA KNOW ???? What's the "carton method" ?????

4. VaM715

VaM715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Fincastle, VA
    There's a whole thread on here about it. Look at the pics above and you will see the hatched eggs were sitting in egg carton bottoms. It puts the air cell up and keeps the hatchlings from rolling the eggs around.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  5. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think the carton method is how she left the eggs setting up in the egg carton instead of laying them down.

First hatch? You did an awesome job!!!

They are so cute!! [​IMG] condratulations

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by