Success and Failure

Mamawolf

Hatching
11 Years
May 10, 2008
We started out with one dozen eggs. 4 went home and into the incubator of my granddaughter. Her 21 days were up on the 9th, and as of an hour ago, still no pipping. I candled them for her a little over a week ago and the eggs definately had chicks in them. Out of the 8 eggs I was left with, I took out 3 clear ones last week. The first pipped on Saturday before 11 a.m. A little over 25 hours after "Marty" had pipped, there was still only the one little patch of shell off and his beak was still in the same spot. After a couple emergency emails to Velvet..... I held my breath, and picked the shell away. Finally, out popped my little chick. His legs didn't want to work right and his toes were curled. This morning he's running around with Miley, the first to actually hatch. One toe is still curled in a bit, but looks like it may straighten out too. I believe the whole problem was because he was upside down in the shell with his head at the small end away the the air pocket. First "breach" egg I've ever heard of. Out of the 3 eggs left in the incubator, 2 pipped yesterday and hatched this morning. I candled the last one and it's another dud.

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to get it through my daughter's head that I had no way of knowing which were "bad" eggs and which were "good"....... She says I kept all the good ones and gave her the duds. Granddaughter is upset cause she wanted hers to hatch....

Wow wonder if your daughter is realated to one of mine, she would say the same thing. I think ya can give up on trying to get her to understand if she is as much like mine as she sounds then it will be your fault even if you had nothing to do with it. Just smile and tell her I sure did now what ya going to do about it LOL Kidding sure hope they hatch for your grandbaby's sake.

Yeah, aren't kids fun? Especially grown ones! I've figured out how to shut her up though. We'll give her's 2 more days and if they haven't hatched I'll crack them open and show her. Just candled them a week and a half ago and chicks were in there!! She'll say "EWWWW GROSS" but will never say I gave her the bad ones again.

Back
Top Bottom