Success - Flock Integration

Steph Martin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 7, 2011
Nova Scotia Canada
I'm so relieved and excited!
wee.gif
. I've been stressing and digressing about my poor "little chick". He (I think) was the only surviving member of my little flock of 12 babies. They were attacked by raccoons and torn out through the chicken wire.
hit.gif
. I've had to keep him separated for about 5 weeks until today!!! I've got five hens, a broody and four babies, and a roo. One of these hens is the meanest a-word in the valley. Poor little chick is dying to get with the others but I was too scared to let him. Today was the day as I have to make room for some new Black Copper Marans which are hatching out (exciting).

He's been in the coop but separated for five weeks. I tried integrating before but that didn't work out. Today I saw my chance. The mean one had cornered another chick and was being her usual self. This is in the back of the run which is segregated. I ran out and shut the little gate after rescuing the chick. So, with her behind bars I let out "little chick". He's scratching around and a little flighty. He did get into it with another chick but the roo ran over and broke it up. Now, although he is nervous, everything is going very well. It's nice to have things work out positively.

Isn't it amazing how one chicken's personality can totally change a flock's dynamics? You are not out of the woods yet but are on your way. I'd be real tempted to keep that hen locked up for a few days to bring her down a peg and give the others a chance to work things out without her interference.

It sounds like you have a pretty good rooster that has accepted the young one as a member of his flock. That is a huge help, but don't count on him to protect that chick from the mean hen. He might, but there is a real good chance he might not.

I'd still be careful but it sounds real promising. Sometimes integration goes so well you wonder what the worry was all about, but sometimes it does not end well. Usually it ends well but you have some worries along the way.

I know we all have different goals and circumstances, but if I had a hen that was disrupting the flock as much as that one seem sto be, she would not remain a member of my flock for long. Just like there are too many good roosters out there to keepa bad one, there are too many good hens out there to keep a bad hen. But they are yours and how you deal with them is your business, not mine. Here's hoping for continued good luck with the integration.

You are totally right...that hen is one old "itch" with a "B" (as my little guy says). She lays the best egg out of the four that are currently laying. I'm bidding my time til the autumn and then someone's attitude had better change or she's off to be processed (sounds like that old movie Soilant Green)...but I'm glad for your advice about keeping her separated. My little roo is a Silkie and he is smaller than the rest of the hens but he is great. The mean hen still tries to run him around (he was introduced later) but he is coming into his own. With her gone things may be a little less stressful.

Another question. They are getting along ok right now but would you suggest I separate the little one this evening? I don't get out to let them in the yard til about 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. and I don't want any crap happening when I can't prevent it and while the coop is adequate for the hens I have, it is not huge. I will keep meany away but will the others change their minds about accepting him tomorrow morning?

Back
Top Bottom