Success (or not) with predator deterrent lights?

I’m sure the chicken keepers in that area appreciate that. Do the responsible thing and eliminate them .

That is not "the responsible thing!" These predators have as much right to live where they live as you do. The "responsible thing" is to make your coop and run as predator proof as possible, and, when the flock free ranges, take steps to discourage predators. Coyotes, skunks, possums, hawks, foxes, raccoons, and owls.. and other predators....all play a role in the control of rodents, insects, and other pests that would otherwise be out of control. Nature does things for a reason. Ms Brahma, I'm sorry for your losses, but I'd be interested to hear how your coop and run are set up, how you secure your chickens at night, what time of day you had the predator attacks, and exactly what happened. .

Last edited:
That is not "the responsible thing!" These predators have as much right to live where they live as you do. The "responsible thing" is to make your coop and run as predator proof as possible, and, when the flock free ranges, take steps to discourage predators. Coyotes, skunks, possums, hawks, foxes, raccoons, and owls.. and other predators....all play a role in the control of rodents, insects, and other pests that would otherwise be out of control. Nature does things for a reason. Ms Brahma, I'm sorry for your losses, but I'd be interested to hear how your coop and run are set up, how you secure your chickens at night, what time of day you had the predator attacks, and exactly what happened. .
Indeed they do. And Indeed, I've put more money in prevention in securing my run to avoid problems, than I have the actual sheltering of the birds. I believe an ounce of prevention is far better and quieter than 3/4 oz of Winchester AA 6 shot.

But that doesn't mean that I don't have a greater responsibility to the animals In my care, and society at large.

None of the species you mentioned are threatened or endangered...And managing their populations, specifically nuisance populations, is part of keeping animals.

JDN, apparently you have some learning to do. In the first place, you might want to research the fact that it doesn't matter if they're "endangered" or not...birds of prey (as mentioned by me) are protected by Federal law; you are not permitted to kill them. .

Second of all, if I found that you as my neighbor were taking a "greater responsibility to society at large" by killing wildlife because you don't have the resources to try other means, I would be very unhappy.

Thirdly, and most important, killing wildlife is not the point of this thread, so..let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:
We had a bear come, the lights went off, the bear backed off for a minute, and then broke down the door to the coop and ate Ginger my favorite hen! The lights did NOT work for us. We rebuilt our coop completely with cement siding and a exterior steel door with a long deadbolt. No other predators have ever been able to break into the run or coop. In our area the lights mean nothing to the bears. :hit

Probably not for a bear, since the lights are supposed to represent the eyes of another predator. I don't know of a bear predator. Sorry for your loss, that's a sad story.

And managing their populations, specifically nuisance populations, is part of keeping animals.
Agrees.....if you trap it, you should kill it, not relocate it.

My view on relocation of chicken predators and/or nuisance animals.

It's really better to kill them...for many reasons.

-You've just introduced trap savvy pest/predator animals into someone else's 'backyard'.

-The spread of disease is a very real aspect and why it's illegal in many states to relocate trapped predator animals.

-Releasing an animal into another animals territory could well sign it's death warrant anyway, in case you were thinking of 'saving' the 'poor little creature'. Probably a worse death than a quick shot to the head or even a 'trashcan drowning'.

Since we've displaced their habitat (and more importantly their natural predators habitat) and fed them to overpopulation with our garbage (intentionally or not)...IMO, it is our duty to become the 'apex predator' and kill them when they become a problem to the extent that we need to trap them.

Back
Top Bottom