Success with Brinsea Octagon!

Thanks!! Love the Eco glows! So much that I have two of them. They are easier than you think. I always start with it at the lowest it will go the chicks can easily touch it. After about a week I move it up one or if the chicks are too hot will move it up sooner. The chicks let you know how warm they are by how they sleep under it. Usually it's a carpet at bed time all flat out under it. When one gets too warm it moves out to the edge then anothe will move under it more. They work it out quick. Also because there is no light when it's bed time it's bed time, gets them into a good sleeping pattern just like they would under Mum.

Another good thing about them is that they use far less electric and no risk of fire.

Another good thing about them is that they use far less electric and no risk of fire.
Those are the major selling points that had me wanting to try one.
I love it when you Brits say "Mum"
wink.png

I'm sure that a lot of the failure with the styrofoam was me. I work long hours, and couldn't monitor it as closely as I would have liked. I also never bought a hygrometer. Looking back, I think maybe my humidity was too high during the first 18 days, but I would see temps from 97-101 with a thermometer at egg level. I bought the Brinsea because it sounded pretty much idiot proof, and it was. I am very, very pleased with it. I will be setting another batch on Friday so my next hatch will be on a weekend. I was just so excited when I got the incubator that I had to set them that day
Yeah, if I wasn't a stay at home mom, I'd probably look into a different incubator because that is the one thing with the styrofoam bators- they have to be babysat more than any others. I'd never recommend them for busy career people. Good luck on the next hatch!!!

Yeah, if I wasn't a stay at home mom, I'd probably look into a different incubator because that is the one thing with the styrofoam bators- they have to be babysat more than any others. I'd never recommend them for busy career people. Good luck on the next hatch!!!
I have respect for anyone that has so much success with styrofoam. What I created was inhumane. The Brinsea was pricey, but I can't say enough good things about it. Out of the box it looked really well put together, and I was amazed at how quickly it stabilized. Temperature was always dead on, and the humidity only took a little tweaking. The humidity pump would put it on autopilot, but I can add water and a paper towel to save $130
wink.png
. It was well worth the money, for me. It also looks like it is going to be very easy to clean.
I can't wait to get home tonight and get the final count

Looking forward to the update and some pics scflock!
Final count: 16 of 22
Some of the eggs were two weeks old, so I think maybe those were the no-hatches. 4 of 5 Polish, 12 of 17 Marans. The last Polish was a good 8 hours behind everyone else, was a runt, and looked very weak compared to the others. I will keep my eye on it. I think it came from one of the older eggs. I will post pics when I get some on this computer.
Since I have a few Brinsea owners and a Polish breeder on this thread, I have a couple of questions. I know I could probably search them, but I'll ask anyway.
First: What is the best solution to clean the Octagon with? I didn't order the disinfectant from Brinsea. I have a mild egg cleanser, but that may not be strong enough to disinfect. I don't want to use anything that is too harsh. Does anyone have a brew they like?
Second: My Polish lay so few eggs that I started saving eggs on the second for a 16th setting. A few of the first eggs I kept look a little opaque on the pointed end. I stored them pointed end down, and turned some, but maybe not enough. Is this a normal look, or should I discard these eggs? I'm trying to set as many Polish as I can, but I don't want to create an unnecessary problem in the incubator

Wow! Lovely chicks!!

To clean mine I just use an anti bacterial washing up liquid. I don't totally submerge the yellow base. But do make sure to get into the nooks and crannies. As for the lid just blow all the fluff out with a hair drier and every third hatch remove the guard cover to get right in. I also wipe the bits I can get to with anti bac on cloth, dry everything straight away.

Some different colouring on the eggs is sometimes normal Allthough maybe just because they have been stored. Give them a whirl and see what happens some people do get hatches from older eggs. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom