Successful Flock Integration?

cposz

Songster
13 Years
May 5, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Last night we put our 2 BO pullets (15 wks old) into the henhouse with the 2 RSL hens (14 mo. old) for the first time. A couple of weeks ago we had built a large addition to our run and have been letting them hang out together during the day (and while they remained sort of segregated, it was mostly peaceful), but we had been taking the pullets out and putting them into their own little makeshift coop at night. But it's time to put them together, as our pullets will soon start laying.

So last night, instead of waiting for the hens to go to sleep and putting the pullets in the henhouse with them for their first overnight together, we mixed things up a little. Just before dusk, we put the pullets into the henhouse and waited for the hens to go in and go to bed. When the hens went in, we stood by at a distance and waited for a big fight to erupt (the alpha hen is sort of a crabcake). But we heard and saw no trouble. Half hour later we went out to the henhouse and peeked in and the hens were asleep (the pullets were just looking around nervously). But this morning all seems well - no bickering or pecking or anything seems to have happened.

The question is, with one successful night under our belts, can we relax now and expect that they will all room together peacefully at night? We leave for a week's vacation in a week and it would be really nice for our chicken-sitter if she didn't have to put the pullets in a separate coop each night.

It's been 2 months after integration for me and I STILL have to go tuck the 17 week old babies in the coop each night - they won't go in on their own. The bigger girls chase them out if they go in early. I'm assuming that will eventually change.

You can try all the intergrating tricks in the books, but most( if not all) chickens will fight the newcomers. its normal and its chicken nature. its just the pecking order. it only becomes a concern for me if the newbies are very small or young, docile breeds, injured and not eating and drinking.

Keep a watch on your chooks. a squable with a oldie and newbie might be enough to start a war
lol.png
lol.png

good luck to you

Thanks for the heads-up...I keep an eye on them. The pullets are almost as big as the hens now and they are very submissive toward them, but that alpha hen can be a little cranky.

Mine have been together in the same coop for several months now. Once in a great while I will hear a little bickering but it's good for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom