Successful integration of Polish?

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
I'm seriously considering a Polish.

(OK, to be honest, I really want a silkie but the mud in the Pacific Northwest has made our cochin miserable and I don't want a silkie with the same problem.)

The Polish would be raised by my banty cochin...
fl.gif
... along with a BO and either a SLW or a EE.

Have you successfully integrated a Polish chicken into an existing flock of non-crested breeds? I know that she's be submissive to the others but I'm wondering if anyone has had good experiences with integration or if this is a pipe dream...

I totally understand the Silkie and mud problem you are afraid of. I had my husband bring a truck load of sand home to fill in the silkie runs before I let them go outside for the first time. I don't see why Polish would have a problem, I have polish and cochin eggs in my bator now, and they will be together for a while.

I had 2 polish, a buff, and a black white crested. I have introduced into my flock 4 times and seperately were my polish. I will tell you though don't do just one it seems to work better. The first time I introduced 2 silkies, rhode island red cockeral, wyandotte pullet, and black start pullet I already had a polish cockeral and wyandotte cockeral. We eventually lost the polish cockeral which my man was quite upset about because he was his baby, he would climb on his shoulder and sit there, he would stand there and talk to the cockeral, my best friend said he was like a dog, the tamest cockeral ever but when I introduced the others about a week later he died. After that my next introduction was two bearded mix silkies, a RIR, black crested polish,Americauna and easter egger and wyandotte pullet it worked really well my black crested is a little bossy lady and it works well. After that I then introduced in a buff lace polish, easter egger, 1 adult and one pullet comet. In both circumstance I have a 8x10 coop with an outdoor run I have two roosting ladders and 4 nesting boxes. I don't see a lot of bickering and fighting in my nest, I have now introduced two turkens, welsummer, buff orpington, and RIR. Out of all my flock I have 2 adult wyandotte bantam roosters, 1 RIR rooster, and up and coming buff orpington rooster, and RIR. The only fighting I have seen thus far are a couple months ago when my wyandottes were maturing they were bucking for top rooster, my RIR roosters are docile as ever and I don't see fighting among them, someone said with spring that might change so I will wait to see.

I also wanted to add, I always add at night and if I have a light on it goes out, if everyone is sleeping they don't see the new ones originally. Also I have heard suggestions about putting the new ones next to the others for a couple days with wire between so they can get used to each other.

Not had an problems with my one polish and twelve other breeds. The other birds don't seem to pick on her as she doesn't look them in the eye! Go for it.
D.gif

Last edited:
I have 6 crested polish pullets -- ten weeks old -- and I introduced them along with the rest of little ones (Delawares) with no problem. They do stick together, though, when the older girls fuss at them!

Back
Top Bottom