successful wrong end pipper

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tallyho, Nov 6, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    The baby who pipped at the pointy end hatched but it was close to a 30+ hour process. I took a look at the shell; she never broke into the airspace. That part of the membrane was completely intact. How the heck did she survive? It sure didn't look good and I was preparing myself for the worst. I am glad that I didn't mess with it. And she's super cute!

She's probably going to give me a lot of trouble...doing things her way!

[​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    shes so cute!!!!
    lovely
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Luke.

4. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Wow!!! That is ONE TOUGH CHICK!! I'd say she's going to be a survivor!

She sure is cute!!

5. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    Congrats on your chick! I've got a wrong end pipper right now that Im waiting on to hatch. It pipped around 11am yesterday morning and started to zip at 9 this morning. It's still stuck in it's shell now and Im having a really hard time keeping my hands off the bator. I want it to hatch so bad and it has half the shell zipped off so far. I wonder though if it is going to be able to get out? Because it pipped on the wrong end so it may be in a bad position to push out the rest of the way. How long did it take your chick to hatch after it started to zip?

6. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:It definitely took a several hours for her to zip, much longer than the others. It pipped and a small piece of shell came off but it looked like there was still dark membrane over it. It stayed like that for hours. I didn't see much movement for a day. Then heard peeping. I was tempted to help too early on but I have no idea what I am doing. I figured if she made it or didn't make it it was up to her. I would have felt worse had I intervened and caused more damage. I had to leave and my 11 yo was gave me the zipping updates by phone. Don't know what I would have done if I was present for the action. I got to see her push out but boy did she work at it. If yours is that far I think she'll figure it out.

7. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    [​IMG] Great Job

8. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    She's a beauty!

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Tough chick you got there. [​IMG]

I once had a chick who, don't ask how or why, ended up pipping and hatching out the wrong end of the egg. Well, actually, I hatched it out manually. . . It was slightly deformed though. I'm not sure why it was upside down in its egg, but if it weren't for me it would have been gone.

Course, I might still have to cull it though. It runs around and acts great with the others, eats, drinks - But it has a huge bald patch of sagging skin near its vent and its left leg is splayed out to the side.

10. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Does anyone know why they pip on the wrong end? Do they actually develop upside down in the egg or do they move themselves into a bad position? This egg was one of the average ones, size and shape. I used an auto-turner that rolls the eggs and always made sure the fat end was up. The airspace was in the right spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by