Such a disappointing day

Sorry for your loss.Some snap traps should get the culprits that roam near your animals. They were cute!

Well the guy from the state came out and he didnt put out any snares, too much potential for a neighbors dog to get caught up in one. He confirms that we have both bobcats and coyotes and that we should put out some box traps, then dispatch the critter. But on a good note, the neighbors can get their panties out of a wad.

they were not happy about it, but the guy told us that he normally only works with people that have 100+ acres even though we are on 34 here, the way the properties are divided, the neighbors are too close for comfort, and they dont want to run into any problems with them.

we are thinking of getting a burrow, but right now our fenced pastures arent large enough to support that big of an animal, maybe later in the year.

Maybe I can just bill the neighbors for my losses LOL, just kidding.

Game cams are pretty inexpensive and a great way to see exactly what is roaming about your critters.

So sorry to hear about what happened and your photo of them all was wonderful!

they were not happy about it, but the guy told us that he normally only works with people that have 100+ acres even though we are on 34 here, the way the properties are divided, the neighbors are too close for comfort, and they dont want to run into any problems with them.

we are thinking of getting a burrow, but right now our fenced pastures arent large enough to support that big of an animal, maybe later in the year.

Maybe I can just bill the neighbors for my losses LOL, just kidding.

You could always get a mini donkey, they don't require very much land at all, no more than goats do. And they are very good protectors. However I do know how farming in Texas goes these days...Seen any decent rain there lately? I hope it isn't as bad as last year was. We saw nary a drop for 9 stinking months.

Yeah but, mini donkeys are kind of small, and if she wants to get one to help keep her goats and stuff safe then size kind of has to matter. I am sure a bobcat could take out a mini donkey.

So i would think a llama, they are known to bond with their pasture mates and keep them safe, they have an alarm call and are mean enough to go after things. And they wouldnt eat all that much neither. Maybe a llama would work.
idunno.gif

You could always get a mini donkey, they don't require very much land at all, no more than goats do. And they are very good protectors. However I do know how farming in Texas goes these days...Seen any decent rain there lately? I hope it isn't as bad as last year was. We saw nary a drop for 9 stinking months.

LOL of course I picked a drought year to lose my job and decide to start a farm...So far this year we have been getting decent rain, just about floods our property, but havent had any this week at all.

Our Yardman/ranch hand has gotten started on extending the pasture fences for us. We just keep moving the line back as we can afford to. The land isnt completely cleared so we clear a line for the fence, then turn the goats loose to do their job. Once they have cleared stuff up a bit, we go in and clear out the rest, leaving some trees for shade.

A Llama actually sounds pretty cool (not excited about a donkey but still considering one). I will have to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom