Such feathery feet, what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MariposaMama, Oct 6, 2008.

1. MariposaMama

MariposaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    In our order of surprise breed pullets, we got three little grayish ones whose feet are growing the most amazing feathers. They will be three weeks old tomorrow and these guys have more feathers on their feet than on their bodies. Any guesses as to what breed they are?
    The darkest gray has more feathers than this one, but this is the only one who would stand still for pictures.

[​IMG]

Also, there are five yellowish ones with some foot feathering, but it's not as extensive as the gray ones. There is one of the yellow ones on the left side of this pic. Any guesses as to the others' breeds would be appreciated, too. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I would guess a Cochin.

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a surprise too.
    It turned out to be a Brahma Cochin.
    [​IMG]

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's either a Brahma or a Cochin PeeperKeeper...which was it? Both are separate breeds.

From the color and feathering on yours Mariposa, I'd say a Blue Cochin. OTHERWISE I'd say it was a Langshan, but Langshan's don't generally have as much foot feathering as yours is having. So, Cochin is my guess.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

PeeperKeeper that is a Brahma.

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

She probably meant to say bantam chochin.

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:Yes, but it is a light brahma [​IMG]

8. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I'm new to these breeds . All I knew growing up was RIR and Banties....all colors! So thanks for the correction. But she is a BIG Girl!

9. KelleysAmericaunas

KelleysAmericaunas Left the coop

Sep 26, 2008
    hope mills nc
    I think its going to be a gray large cochin hen i have one that looked just like that and she is 13 pounds now lol

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It looks like a self-blue cochin...possibly a splash instead...and probably a pullet from the look of her comb. Usually by 3 weeks, the cockerels are starting to get some pinkness to their combs. She's lovely!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by