Such good girls but when will the eggs get bigger? pic included

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momoftwinsinwi, Oct 30, 2007.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    My girls have been laying now (14 of them) for close to 3 weeks, when will my eggs get bigger? I have production reds and CA whites?? I was so happy today to get 11 eggs!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Nice eggs, they will get larger in time. After the first molt the eggs will be larger, however they will increase in size through the first year of laying before they molt. Most pullets will lay through the winter and after their rest from the molt will lay larger eggs, although it may not be daily.

bigzio

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Dang, those look pretty good to me! I was smitten w/ out pullet eggs. So much so that I'm wanting ot get banties so I can have smaller eggs!

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    We have three stages of chickens. Our oldest lay large eggs, the middle are laying small and the third should start in December. We give most of our large eggs away to friends and family or use for baking, we prefer the smaller eggs any day especailly for our egg poacher, large doesn't necessary mean better.

5. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    It'll probably take at least several months before they are consistantly laying Large size (over 2 ounces).

I find people who bake prefer the Large size, while people who want them for eating fresh prefer the Medium size.

spot

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I started an egg production chart as soon as mine started laying. I weigh them, and log in how many and what the weights were each day (this is easy, since I only have 6). Mine are in their third full week of laying, and they are now consistently laying 1.8 - 1.85 oz. eggs. When they started, I had one as little as 1.25 oz., most were 1.4, and they've gotten a little bigger each week. Still "medium" sized, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by