Suck barred rock

Lvchickenlvr

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2018
I have a two year old barred rock 6 days ago she hide and wasn't in the coop at night next day she was found on her side legs not working( holding her up). Her comb still is red and healthy looking. Eyes also look good. Was eating first 4 days now only eating sparingly. I have been giving her tylan 50 for 6 days. She does have mites that I dusted for first with de 2 days ago I started using garden dust to try and kill the bugs I also have been giving her fluids, water with added rooster booster. She's not getter better but also not getting worse. Any ideas?

Why are you giving her antibiotics?? Have you ever dewormed her? That would be my guess, that she has worms, if you've never dewormed her. Try getting a fecal sample and see if your vet will examine it for you for worms or cocci. If he won't, try to deworm her anyway with a broad spectrum dewormer, like Safeguard. 1 cc per day for five days. You can mix it in treats..like buttermilk soaked breadcrumbs..if she will eat. Otherwise, carefully trickle it into the side of her beak a little at a time. chickens (and all poultry as a rule) should be dewormed every six months, especially if they're free ranging. Worms kill. And you won't necessarily see worms, either. Tylan is an antibiotic usually used for respiratory problems; and unless she has those, it is doing nothing, and giving it to her does more harm than good.

Welcome to BYC, and please keep us posted. Lots of good info on this site.

I have a two year old barred rock 6 days ago she hide and wasn't in the coop at night next day she was found on her side legs not working( holding her up). Her comb still is red and healthy looking. Eyes also look good. Was eating first 4 days now only eating sparingly. I have been giving her tylan 50 for 6 days. She does have mites that I dusted for first with de 2 days ago I started using garden dust to try and kill the bugs I also have been giving her fluids, water with added rooster booster. She's not getter better but also not getting worse. Any ideas?
Welcome To BYC!

Can you post some photos of your hen?
Photos of her poop?
Have you added any chickens to your flock within the last 30days?
When was the last time she laid an egg?
Where are you located? (state/country)

If you have vet care that is always best.

Give her a going over, feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid. If the mites are not gone, then re-treat her.
Since the legs are not working, she may have a disease like Marek's, but getting a fecal float or testing to rule out other possibilities is a good idea.
Check her crop, is it empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

You can try placing her in a sling to keep her more upright and comfortable. She would need to be monitored. When she is not in the sling, you can roll up thick towel to prop her up.
Do what you can to keep her hydrated and eating. Since she has been like this for 6 days with no signs of improvement, even with antibiotics, she may be in a state of decline since she is not eating well. Sometimes you won't know what caused the decline until a necropsy is performed. If you happen to lose her, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing.

Why are you giving her antibiotics?? Have you ever dewormed her? That would be my guess, that she has worms, if you've never dewormed her. Try getting a fecal sample and see if your vet will examine it for you for worms or cocci. If he won't, try to deworm her anyway with a broad spectrum dewormer, like Safeguard. 1 cc per day for five days. You can mix it in treats..like buttermilk soaked breadcrumbs..if she will eat. Otherwise, carefully trickle it into the side of her beak a little at a time. chickens (and all poultry as a rule) should be dewormed every six months, especially if they're free ranging. Worms kill. And you won't necessarily see worms, either. Tylan is an antibiotic usually used for respiratory problems; and unless she has those, it is doing nothing, and giving it to her does more harm than good.

Thanks good to know. I have never deworms Shoot I'm omit

Attachments

• IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 17

Welcome To BYC!

Photos of her poop?

Give her a going over, feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid. If the mites are not gone, then re-treat her.
Since the legs are not working, she may have a disease like Marek's, but getting a fecal float or testing to rule out other possibilities is a good idea.

You can try placing her in a sling to keep her more upright and comfortable. She would need to be monitored. When she is not in the sling, you can roll up thick towel to prop her up.
Do what you can to keep her hydrated and eating. Since she has been like this for 6 days with no signs of improvement, even with antibiotics, she may be in a state of decline since she is not eating well. Sometimes you won't know what caused the decline until a necropsy is performed. If you happen to lose her, refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing.
No vets here in my area that see birds that I'm aware of.
Welcome To BYC!

Photos of her poop?

I'll check her in the am and post pictures I don't think she'll Make it thru the night I can't do a vet right now just paid 3 gs on my cat I'm in Southern California I have her propped inside a towel to try and make her comfortable her bellies not swollen yes there is a new chicken in the last 30 days I quarrietined her for two weeks She shows no signs of illness new girl showed up at the front gate one night at dusk Other 7 of my flock are showing no signs of illness.

Back
Top Bottom