Suckling with hurt leg help

MJGilliam

Hatching
May 28, 2021
My week old duckling was in the broader with 9 others and has hurt its leg.
I tried the band aid technique to shore it up no good couldn't walk at all.
I put it in water to swim maybe get stronger it can move its leg but not seem to get it under its body.
I don't know how to help it any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20210527_135942.jpg
    20210527_135942.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 16
Welcome to BYC.
How does the leg feel - is it hot, swollen, is there redness?
Can you gently bend the joints without hearing or clicking?
Could you post a video of the duckling trying to walk on its feet?
If you can isolate the injury to a soft tissue injury (sprain/strains) to ensure you're not dealing with a dislocated, or broken bone, treatment will be fairly straightforward.
When dealing with leg injuries, one should address all factors that predispose, or may in future cases predisposes the bird to develop the injury.
Environmentally all things should be altered to hasten the healing of the injury.
This would include padding the substrate for the bird, ensuring the other ducklings arent pecking at it's leg, and eliminating any objects it may be getting its legs/feet caught on, etc.
Obviously, these injuries can be quite stressful for the bird, so consider adding a poultry vitamin to its water/feed/ or treats every few days to help correct any nutrient and electrolyte deficits.
Bathing in water is okay, but the duckling should be placed in warm (not hot) water and placed directly into a warm environment afterward. Time, and rest will ultimately be the best treatment in the long run.
I hope you see some improvement soon.

Welcome to BYC.
How does the leg feel - is it hot, swollen, is there redness?
Can you gently bend the joints without hearing or clicking?
Could you post a video of the duckling trying to walk on its feet?
If you can isolate the injury to a soft tissue injury (sprain/strains) to ensure you're not dealing with a dislocated, or broken bone, treatment will be fairly straightforward.
When dealing with leg injuries, one should address all factors that predispose, or may in future cases predisposes the bird to develop the injury.
Environmentally all things should be altered to hasten the healing of the injury.
This would include padding the substrate for the bird, ensuring the other ducklings arent pecking at it's leg, and eliminating any objects it may be getting its legs/feet caught on, etc.
Obviously, these injuries can be quite stressful for the bird, so consider adding a poultry vitamin to its water/feed/ or treats every few days to help correct any nutrient and electrolyte deficits.
Bathing in water is okay, but the duckling should be placed in warm (not hot) water and placed directly into a warm environment afterward. Time, and rest will ultimately be the best treatment in the long run.
I hope you see some improvement soon.
Hi
Thank you so much for your help
It appears to be bulging at the knee.
I have removed the duckling from the broader withthe other as it was getting beat up.
I have it in about a shoe box area with soft but stable bedding. The duckling is eating and drinking and swimming fine walking on 1 leg swimming with 2

Attachments

• 20210527_135942.jpg
    20210527_135942.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210529_165956.jpg
    20210529_165956.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210529_165949.jpg
    20210529_165949.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom