Sudden aggression from rooster - I think I know why, how to fix it?

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
I have one cockerel (Wyandotte, about 10+months old) and six pullets (same age). All of the girls have been laying for 5 months or more.

They have a 12x10 ft full-size chicken house with an attached, enclosed 10x20 ft run. Plenty of space and lots to do.

Roo has always been skiddish and afraid of me. Didnt want me to touch him. He wouldn’t get near me. Would avoid me. Would run if I got near him. Docile. He grumbles and crows a lot and does his dances around the girls, but never human aggressive.

Two days ago, he pecked my boot as I entered the door.

Last night, he attacked me as I was coming in the run with food - including flying up and pecking me.

This morning, when I went to let them out, he met me at the door. Didn’t attack, but stood his ground instead of being skiddish and moving away like he normally does.

Here’s what happened just prior to his behavior change, which I think is the cause:

I had one of the girls in quarantine (fine now) for a week. I reintroduced her gradually over 3 days, starting Sunday. I put her back in with the flock fully on Wednesday. The other girls weren’t super happy about her being there. I sat in the run for about two hours with a squirt bottle and used it a few times to break up any actual fighting. I never sprayed him. He mated her like 3 times in the first 30 minutes 🙄 and did a lot of dancing around her. All fine.
That day is the day he pecked my boot.
Next day (yesterday) I went in and out all day like usual, no issues…then he attacked me in the evening.

Is this temporary behavior?

I go out there with them many times a day. I talk to them. We hold the girls every day and often. Always have. Sometimes he will dance around over in the corner and fluff his feathers, but still runs when we go toward him or near him. Normally, he won’t even go out the little chicken door if I’m standing near it, he just runs around nervously until I move away from it (not aggressive, but scared of going past me).

So, is it due to the change in flock dynamics and returning the one to the flock?
Does he think he has a new hen and is being territorial?
Me using the squirt bottle?
What happened? How do I fix it?

I’ve had roosters in the past, but never an aggressive one. I assumed it was due to the way I handle them from day one. This is not my first flock.

He’s huge, and I’m not. Pretty sure I’m not going to be able to pick him up and hold him upside down or pin him down. I’ve read the articles and several posts about aggression. I just feel like I created this issue, so I want to fix it the right way without making it worse. Any possibility it will settle down and go back to the way it was?

Last edited:
I would start by ignoring all the girls.
I would bring treats to the flock and hopefully he will meet you at the door again. Offer all the treats to HIM to doll out to the girls.
I'm sure your new behavior doing something that the pullets didn't like and he found threatening was the trigger. You need to work to reassure him you are not a threat to his girls or to his leadership of them and that you don't want to hurt him or them.
If you think he is going to flog you again, always enter the pen with sturdy jeans and long sleeves and keep your eye on him. If he flogs you, just stand there and look at him CALMLY. Take a step towards him to let him know that you are not intimidated and won't back down. Quite the contrary, if he flogs you it will make you walk closer to him. He doesn't like that.
If you start now and are consistent, he should be fine. It is very normal for a rooster to be aggressive. He has to be to protect his flock. If you are not a threat to him or his flock, he should not aim his aggression towards you.
But always keep in mind that he is the leader of the flock, not you. He is with them 24/7, you aren't.

I think he needs to adjust. He saw you as a hen thief, & believes he needed to take action to take back his lady.

I'd give him some more time, & if he continues being a butthead, get rid of him.

A sprain doesn't require quarantine, it usually heals by itself, I've had a couple birds with a sprained foot, or hock, & left them with the flock. 5-7 days, & no more limping.

I would start by ignoring all the girls.
I would bring treats to the flock and hopefully he will meet you at the door again. Offer all the treats to HIM to doll out to the girls.
I'm sure your new behavior doing something that the pullets didn't like and he found threatening was the trigger. You need to work to reassure him you are not a threat to his girls or to his leadership of them and that you don't want to hurt him or them.
If you think he is going to flog you again, always enter the pen with sturdy jeans and long sleeves and keep your eye on him. If he flogs you, just stand there and look at him CALMLY. Take a step towards him to let him know that you are not intimidated and won't back down. Quite the contrary, if he flogs you it will make you walk closer to him. He doesn't like that.
If you start now and are consistent, he should be fine. It is very normal for a rooster to be aggressive. He has to be to protect his flock. If you are not a threat to him or his flock, he should not aim his aggression towards you.
But always keep in mind that he is the leader of the flock, not you. He is with them 24/7, you aren't.
Thank you. I will try those. I like the idea of staying calm and walking toward him. That’s what I’d planned to do, but wasn’t sure if that would make him think I’m challenging him and make it worse. I don’t want him to see me as a threat to him or the girls.

I had to carry something in with me this morning (that I know he’s afraid of) just so I could get past him to open their door to the run. Then, he acted like he normally does - conceded, ran from me - I put it down but he was still nervous to go past me to get into the run. I stood there right at their door where I always do, and he eventually ran past me out the door.
I talk to them constantly, so I just did my normal morning chatter while I opened things up, fed them, etc.
Ive went back in three times since - he is definitely on alert (staring, wing flapping, stomping, grumbling, and seems nervous), but didn’t charge me like last night.

I‘ll be honest, I’m neevous about it myself. I love my chickens and enjoy being around them. I don’t want to be scared of going in there.

side note: after the incident last night, my 12 year old son came straight out, walked in there with a purpose, picked up a hen, and rubbed Dot (the Roo) on his wing lol. He said - mom, you’re the boss, don’t let him boss you.

Dot has always allowed my son to touch him, even though he doesn’t love it. So 🤷🏻‍♀️

I think he needs to adjust. He saw you as a hen thief, & believes he needed to take action to take back his lady.

I'd give him some more time, & if he continues being a butthead, get rid of him.
I guess he’s right - I am a hen thief! He’s still dancing around her a lot.

This is the second time she’s had this sprain. This time she couldn’t put any weight on it and just flopped over. She’s near the bottom of the pecking order anyway and it’s been abnormally cold here (and wet and windy), so I just took her out. She couldn’t get to any food and water, and potentially not away from the bullies or back inside from the cold rain and wind. She also has a pendulous crop and wears a bra, so she gets some grief for that already from one of the other girls.

So y’all can see how handsome he is ❤️His colors are gorgeous. The picture doesn’t do justice to his colors.
131A88C3-AB91-4059-A870-D696DA1186B5.jpeg

I guess he’s right - I am a hen thief! He’s still dancing around her a lot.

This is the second time she’s had this sprain. This time she couldn’t put any weight on it and just flopped over. She’s near the bottom of the pecking order anyway and it’s been abnormally cold here (and wet and windy), so I just took her out. She couldn’t get to any food and water, and potentially not away from the bullies or back inside from the cold rain and wind. She also has a pendulous crop and wears a bra, so she gets some grief for that already from one of the other girls.
Don't you have a crate to put her in, so she stays with the flock to heal?

How high are the roosts?

Don't you have a crate to put her in, so she stays with the flock to heal?

How high are the roosts?
I have a crate in the coop for birds that need to be separated or are injured. That’s where she’s been. She hasn’t been completely separate from them, except that she wasnt mingling, eating, or roosting. Sorry for the confusion.

I have a crate in the coop for birds that need to be separated or are injured. That’s where she’s been. She hasn’t been completely separate from them.
That wasn't mentioned in your first post. You put you had to separate, & reintroduce. If she's already with flock to heal, reintroduction shouldn't be needed.

Back
Top Bottom