Sudden blindness suspected, ocular mareks or something else?

Since you started the Oxytet I would finish the course of treatment.
The tissue above her eye looks swollen and the eye is sunken. It may be respiratory disease, especially if you have 2 birds with similar symptoms. For me, it would be odd to have 2 at the same time symptomatic of Ocular Marek's. Ocular Marek's to my knowledge is not accompanied by swelling so I would take a guess something else is at play.

@Eggcessive may be able to offer more suggestions.

Well, fantastic then I’m glad it’s probably not mareks at least. We will finish the course of antibiotics on her then and hope it helps. . She even seemed a little perkier this morning. What vitamin would she be deficient in that causes blindness?

Well, fantastic then I’m glad it’s probably not mareks at least. We will finish the course of antibiotics on her then and hope it helps. . She even seemed a little perkier this morning. What vitamin would she be deficient in that causes blindness?
I *think* that would be Vitamin A, but for me, I would use a poultry vitamin like Poultry Cell that contains essential vitamins/minerals which I feel would be more beneficial for her overall health.

I *think* that would be Vitamin A, but for me, I would use a poultry vitamin like Poultry Cell that contains essential vitamins/minerals which I feel would be more beneficial for her overall health.
Yup I agree I added 30 mls of rooster booster to her water last night. I think Her sight seemed a little tiny bit better, but then again I was never convinced she was fully blind in the first place. Anyone ever had a blind chicken successfully use a nipple waterer? Seems like an extremely small target to hit if she cant quite see it.

Yup I agree I added 30 mls of rooster booster to her water last night. I think Her sight seemed a little tiny bit better, but then again I was never convinced she was fully blind in the first place. Anyone ever had a blind chicken successfully use a nipple waterer? Seems like an extremely small target to hit if she cant quite see it.
I've never used a nipple water system, but if she's struggling with it, a bowl or regular poultry water fount may be better for her to use. You don't want her to get dehydrated.

Ok a few days into the oxytet she might be a little perkier, she eats on her own okay, and drinks with my assistance. I think her visions improving, that or she’s becoming accustomed to not being able to see, she seems less confused but still struggles make contact with what she’s aiming for.

Back
Top Bottom