Sudden change in flock dynamics, help

GardenWeasel

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Henry, TN
Some backround. I have 2 EE roosters the same age: Billy- all white and very large since a chick , much bigger than the other,crowed at 8 weeks, very good with the girls and not aggressive, was very relaxed about the other rooster and they got on well until 2 days ago. Pal- small very nicely colored,late bloomer, kind of rough with the girls, not people aggressive. My problem Billy had been the clearly dominant roo for 10 months. Two days ago They are fighting like crazy and obviously Pal won the battle he chases Billy from the hens and from the food and water. I was hoping to breed chicks from both of them this spring as I have 2 broodies I would like to test and obviously fertile eggs. We just had to quit free ranging due to a huge increase in roaming dogs. Could that have made this change occur? I don't have a seperate bachelor pad and our winters can get nasty. Will I have to cull one? If so which would you choose???

if you have to cull one go with the one that you like least or pick the one that you want to pass on traits to chicks to keep. sounds like billy is your better choice from what you have written. you could also give it a day or two and see what happens. how many hens do you have? a rooster can easily cover 15-20 hens in the spring and all of the hens have fertile eggs in my esperience. good luck

Sounds like the dogs are the problem. Can you enclose some space for the flock to "free range" with electric fence to keep the dogs out and the chickens in? I loathe roaming dogs and there are strict laws in place to deal with that.
If not possible to protect the flock with fencing of some type I would go with the roo that has the most preferable traits.

We have a large 20X40 fenced area but not much shade . There are now 35 girls, about 5 are on the cull list. Billy was such a kind head rooster, hardly bothered with Pal at all. Pal is like a little Hittler. I wanted to pass on Billy's extreme vigor and Pal is one of the most vivdly colored and gorgeous roos. They were getting on so nicely. We are getting a shotgun, I bought three acres with intent to free range and did for almost 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom