Sudden Change of Behavior and No Eggs

ciaolobster

Chirping
Dec 11, 2020
Hi faithful team,
I have a Welsummer who is a little over 1 year old. She is part of our full flock of 22 (3 roos, 19 hens) and has historically gotten along well with everyone, roosted in the coop at night, laid consistently. However, a couple months ago, she suddenly started sitting on top of a barrel we have near the outdoor feeders and waters. She would lay her eggs up on the barrel but we would see her out and about with the others here and there, and she would return to the coop at night. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, she stopped laying eggs all together, rarely if ever got off the barrel, wouldn't return to the coop at night and she became really cranky, not enjoying being picked up and carried into the coop at night (we live on a lot of acreage surrounded by forest therefore lots of predators). I was worried she was egg bound, but she is still with us and it has been a few weeks now. I picked her up today and saw her lower chest is now bare of feathers and has a sore on it from laying down 99% of the day, 99% of the days. Today I took the barrel away and forced her to walk around with the rest of the flock. Fighting ensued for a bit and she continued to search for the barrel. As of last night, we were going to fetch her after the coop door closes and placing her on the roost in the coop, but I find her back out on the barrel as soon as that coop door opens, even before the roosters emerge. I have no clue what changed or why with her, but clearly I'm very concerned.
I very much appreciate any insight anyone may have!

Broody. You took away the nest site (barrel) she was trying to hatch on. Bet if you check any eggs that were there (if you didn't eat or toss them), they're partially developed.
Thank you for the reply. She stopped laying and her behavior changed well before I took away the barrel. The behavior started 6ish weeks ago which is also when the laying stopped. I only took the barrel away yesterday.

Thank you for the reply. She stopped laying and her behavior changed well before I took away the barrel. The behavior started 6ish weeks ago which is also when the laying stopped. I only took the barrel away yesterday.
They go broody and quit laying eggs. They will set an empty nest for weeks.

I personally would broody break her. It takes a few days. This will also allow you to control her environment and food intake completely also. It does sound like she’s broody.

They go broody and quit laying eggs. They will set an empty nest for weeks.

I personally would broody break her. It takes a few days. This will also allow you to control her environment and food intake completely also. It does sound like she’s broody.
Oh! Ok I'm hopeful that's the case then. Any tips on how to break the broodiness in a safe and healthy way? Thank you!!

Oh! Ok I'm hopeful that's the case then. Any tips on how to break the broodiness in a safe and healthy way? Thank you!!
A wire cage up off the floor. You can block it up with wood 3-4” You want air circulation to cool off the hen helping get those hormones under control. Throw a piece of 4x4 in there so she has someplace to get off the wire and get comfortable. Leave her in there with food and water for a couple days. At the end of the second day I start letting them out toward roosting time. If she goes to the barrel, toss her back in till next evening. She’s broke when she roosts with everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom