Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome?

This morning i went out to our chickens they were all fine about an hour later i went out to collect eggs and found one of my hens had just dropped dead. She was about 4months old and was very healthy she hadn't started laying yet but her combs were turning red. I am a little concerned that my other 3 hens are going to do the same. They are all laying well and all seem healthy but there were no signs of any illness with the one that just died this morning.

It is all very strange and has caused distress to the other chickens. I have been told to keep them locked in their coop is this correct they are making a lot of noise about being locked in. It seems a bit cruel.
sad.png

It is a sad situation for all of us chicken lovers to go outside and find one that has passed away....

Sunday morning I went out to my coop to feed and check on the girls and found one of my Marans (Blanca) laying on the ground dead....no wounds, no missing feathers. It broke my heart....I still don't have any reason for the sudden death, but I just pray it wont happen to any more of my girls....

I miss you Blanca...you were a sweet girl
hit.gif

:hitWell my beautiful bantam cochin roo just passed away in his sleep. Just two years old! I have other birds over five years old! He was a favorite. So sweet. We all experiance it. So sad:(

I had three marrans I hatched out in february and they started to lay and were healthy with the rest of my girls. Then one night she was missing when I put them to bed and I found her tucked up under the bush like she was asleep but she was dead? Head tucked under her wing and just sitting there? I was shocked and her other two sisters are big a beautiful today and healthy?

Crazy! I didn't know what happened

This is our first time with chickens, we got them (6) in April as teenies, they all started laying at 18 weeks. They have been very healthy from day 1.

This morning my daughter went out to do her usual, feed, get eggs ETC and Miley was laying under the roost, stiff as a board. From looking at the poop piles all lined up it appeared she had died last night as under her roosting spot there was only a couple of poops.

We havent changed anything, could she have had a heart attack?

We are so sad with loosing her:(

Any ideas?

I had a Silver Spangled hen she was good one day and dead the next nothing of warning on to the person who said about coin the phrase DEAD AS A CHICKEN I was on a chaicken chat all were Astralains they say "fell of the Perch" this is if chicken or human "The bloke fell off the perch yesterday didn't know what he had" just thought it was funny. Oh in no means and I even saying anything on this thread of you beloved pets dying is funny pease never would I think that.

I am sorry to hear of all of your losses. Take heart you know they are in pet heaven and are well and have all they could ever want.

Rhayden

Quote:
I am so glad I found you chicken people here tonight. I lost a young RIR lovely hen today. Awful to happen any time but on Christmas day I ask you.

As so many posts above mine is the same story. Young energetic healthy happy hen in the morning. I heard what I interpreted as a loud sneezy cluck early in the afternoon as I was on my way to visit family. Got home a few hours later and Sophie was laying down. It became apparent she had died. She was still slightly warm. I am sad and angry. My oldest hen, a purebred black astralorp is going on fourteen years and she's still the leader of the flock. To have a yearling die for no apparent reason is only made more bearable by reading others accounts here. I am so glad you are all here and can understand and share experiences with me and other chicken people.

Thanks for being here you all. I hope to make some other posts soon.

Donna

This is so sad!
hit.gif
And frightening!
ep.gif

At least if I go out and find one of my chickens dead, with no signs of illness or trama, I'll know it happens. I would've driven myself nuts trying to figure out what happened. (I probably still will)
So very sorry to all that have had these sudden losses!

I think it is the hardest when a animal/ pet dies and there is no reason. Not having answers is sometimes the hardest thing to deal with. So sorry for everyone's losses. But I think this post does make things easier when you see others have had similar situations.

Back
Top Bottom