atripp6120

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2021
Brunswick, Ohio
Warning: I've included a photo of her how I found her after she passed. Please let me know if you think the its the same cause of death that I do.

I had a hen pass yesterday and found her on her back, legs straight, wings flat, eyes closed. She was just about 2 years old. Very healthy, not overweight. Was pecking along with everyone else the day before. I have never seen this so I was baffled. Off to Google I went and found out about Sudden Death Syndrome, or Flip-over Disease. From what I've read, at least from "reputable" sources online, they only show this being a thing in Cornish Cross chickens; that would make sense at least. The hen I lost was a special breed from Meyer's Hatchery. (https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Chickens-c39349237) They don't disclose what breeds they cross to make they're specialized birds obviously. It made me wonder though if this was something more common in custom breeds or in specific breeds or if there isn't really anything statistical other than for the Cornish cross. Anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• 20240414_201107.jpg
    20240414_201107.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240414_201049.jpg
    20240414_201049.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 7
Warning: I've included a photo of her how I found her after she passed. Please let me know if you think the its the same cause of death that I do.

I had a hen pass yesterday and found her on her back, legs straight, wings flat, eyes closed. She was just about 2 years old. Very healthy, not overweight. Was pecking along with everyone else the day before. I have never seen this so I was baffled. Off to Google I went and found out about Sudden Death Syndrome, or Flip-over Disease. From what I've read, at least from "reputable" sources online, they only show this being a thing in Cornish Cross chickens; that would make sense at least. The hen I lost was a special breed from Meyer's Hatchery. (https://meyerhatchery.com/products/Chickens-c39349237) They don't disclose what breeds they cross to make they're specialized birds obviously. It made me wonder though if this was something more common in custom breeds or in specific breeds or if there isn't really anything statistical other than for the Cornish cross. Anyone have any idea?
It could be sudden death Syndrome, but could also be a heart attack. Is she blue/purple in the skin, face, & breast?

Back
Top Bottom