The amazing fainting Sally

Phillyndilly

Songster
5 Years
Aug 8, 2018
Hudson Valley, NY
The short story is I have a young chicken named Sally who I constantly find passed out on her back. Sometimes she is somewhat dazed and other times she is just looking at me. Has anyone ever had a chicken act this way? It is as if something happens that startles her and she basically plays dead? I’ve had chickens for many years and never had this happen multiple times with the same chicken or multiple times in general.

Long background version : Sally is from a group of 40 I got from a hatchery in July. At least 10 from this group have died and it was more random deaths vs oh these are sick chicks. We lost them slowly with no obvious signs of illness. When the group was old enough I put them in my larger pasture. When they are young they stay in an area with special needs fowl.
Sally never would sleep on the roost and acted a bit strange. I found her on her back once or twice and I thought it was weird, but I would flip her over and she would run right away. I found laying on her back one day not moving at all. I thought she was dead but when I walked over and I was shocked but she was alive. This time she was injured with cuts around her eye and dazed. She went into a storage barn we have a brooder in and not long after one of my favorite roosters ( who I suspected wasn’t eating-another story) and another new chicken my elderly neighbor gave me joined her. It was a real bad cold snap so everyone stayed there with a heat plate in to recover, eat and get nice and strong. I did however find Sally on her back in the brooder at least twice.
When it warmed up enough I put the group back in my special needs area where I plan to have them stay. Been watching them out the window all day and when I saw the other two without Sally I went to investigate. And there was my Sally on her back, cocking her head to the side saying hi mom. I put her on my lap and she hung out a bit. That area has sensitive chickens and my special needs waterfowl so no one will harm her but there are roosters who will try to mate her.
Anyway idk what is going on with this crazy lady. Does she sleep like that? If a rooster tries to mate her is she just playing dead? She doesn’t seem to be able to get up. I can tell she’s there for a while sometimes because her tail has a pile of poop. I am afraid a predator will get her while pretending she’s a possum.
Has anyone had a chicken act like that? She doesn’t seem unhealthy she has a good set of feathers and isn’t skinny. I’m giving her vitamin e in case there is any kind of deficiency. Photos of the weird little lady below. Last photo is when I thought she was dead, once I realized she was alive I documented for my husband.

Attachments

• 52B451A3-F9C3-4871-B6FB-4074AA8A7746.jpeg
    52B451A3-F9C3-4871-B6FB-4074AA8A7746.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 71
  • 8AD934C4-75C1-48BC-AC28-A0C1EA751209.jpeg
    8AD934C4-75C1-48BC-AC28-A0C1EA751209.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DDC07364-B7C1-46A1-923D-2993C8E6E22C.jpeg
    DDC07364-B7C1-46A1-923D-2993C8E6E22C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 15B7D7C1-BBAA-4F82-9DE1-BF6445DD320C.jpeg
    15B7D7C1-BBAA-4F82-9DE1-BF6445DD320C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 145CBF49-AED2-43C8-A19B-BDAF909BAEF1.jpeg
    145CBF49-AED2-43C8-A19B-BDAF909BAEF1.jpeg
    472.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I'm with @nuthatched that this may be neurological. Wry neck takes many forms, and while I haven't seen this rendition, it would seem to fit. Be sure the E is 400iu and at least 600-800mg. Give it with egg or a little sliver of selenium. This will injure proper absorption.
Ok thanks I’m going to start a proper protocol I haven’t been super consistent with it but I’ll start everyday and then see if she shows improvements.

The short story is I have a young chicken named Sally who I constantly find passed out on her back. Sometimes she is somewhat dazed and other times she is just looking at me. Has anyone ever had a chicken act this way? It is as if something happens that startles her and she basically plays dead?Sally never would sleep on the roost and acted a bit strange. I found her on her back once or twice and I thought it was weird, but I would flip her over and she would run right away. I found laying on her back one day not moving at all. I thought she was dead but when I walked over and I was shocked but she was alive. This time she was injured with cuts around her eye and dazed. She went into a storage barn we have a brooder in and not long after one of my favorite roosters ( who I suspected wasn’t eating-another story) and another new chicken my elderly neighbor gave me joined her. It was a real bad cold snap so everyone stayed there with a heat plate in to recover, eat and get nice and strong. I did however find Sally on her back in the brooder
and when I saw the other two without Sally I went to investigate. And there was my Sally on her back, cocking her head to the side saying hi mom.
Anyway idk what is going on with this crazy lady. Does she sleep like that? If a rooster tries to mate her is she just playing dead? She doesn’t seem to be able to get up. I can tell she’s there for a while sometimes because her tail has a pile of poop.
In addition to the possible suggestions above, your descriptions of Sally's behaviors brought to my mind the Fainting Goat breed. This breed of goat carries the hereditary condition myotonia congenita. When a Fainting Goat is startled or surprised, its muscles involuntarily contract and do not release for a period of time, causing the goat to stiffen and fall over. While immobilized, the goat remain fully conscious. There is lots of info available on the internet if you Google "fainting goat."

Humans can have this condition too, but I didn't know of chickens can, so looked it up. The answer is yes, chickens can also carry congenital myotonia. I will link one article abstract about the condition, but if you desire to dive deeper, there is a lot of other internet info available to read. With fainting goats, as far as I know there is currently still no cure, but you may learn of some remedies you can try to see if they help Sally. Before treating her symptoms with anything suitable for mammals, make sure it is safe for birds too.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/474742/

It sounds like seizures. I would try the vitamin E and some egg for selenium for awhile. If you lose another I would have your state vet do a necropsy to get a diagnosis.
It could be I haven’t actually witnessed her falling over but since she’s closer now I’m hoping to see how it happens. Ya we were planning on that if another goes. It just so happens every single chicken died on the weekend. We have a wonderful farm vet I can drop them off at but they are usually just on call for weekends but next time we are going to. A lot just seemed very thin who passed which pointed to worms so we made sure to reworm with something that also covers tapeworms. Hoping no one else goes.

In addition to the possible suggestions above, your descriptions of Sally's behaviors brought to my mind the Fainting Goat breed. This breed of goat carries the hereditary condition myotonia congenita. When a Fainting Goat is startled or surprised, its muscles involuntarily contract and do not release for a period of time, causing the goat to stiffen and fall over. While immobilized, the goat remain fully conscious. There is lots of info available on the internet if you Google "fainting goat."

Humans can have this condition too, but I didn't know of chickens can, so looked it up. The answer is yes, chickens can also carry congenital myotonia. I will link one article abstract about the condition, but if you desire to dive deeper, there is a lot of other internet info available to read. With fainting goats, as far as I know there is currently still no cure, but you may learn of some remedies you can try to see if they help Sally. Before treating her symptoms with anything suitable for mammals, make sure it is safe for birds too.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/474742/
Wow thanks this is quite interesting! We almost got fainting goats. A gift from my husband’s sister who passed for her daughter. It never ended up happening but I did a little research into them. We have Nubians now. I will definitely check out the article. That really really is what it reminds me of. Something about it doesn’t seem sickly it just seems like a reaction to something. I really had no idea humans could have it as well. Maybe it relates to narcolepsy.

Back
Top Bottom