2 Sudden Hen Deaths within Week

IMO, any time one has multiple birds die from unexplained causes in short order, the prudent path is a necropsy. Idaho has an animal health poultry lab as part of the Department of Agriculture.
https://agri.idaho.gov/main/laboratories/animal-health-laboratories/
Call them and they'll tell you how to proceed. Most labs will send you a FedEx label for shipping. Don't freeze the bird but keep it cool and pack with freezer packs if possible.
Whenever I had an unexplained death, even if it was a single bird, having rare breeds, I had to know what was up. I never ended up with a serious illness but it was a relief to know. In most cases my birds died of heart attack and cancer.
Temperatures in the 20s F won't kill a healthy adult chicken, even with a sudden cold snap. Something else is going on.

It takes protein to build new feathers but don't overdo it. It is harder on a chicken to process the excess protein than to deal with molting.
Unfortunately, Idaho only excepts specimens from a vet with "rare exceptions." I'll try to give them a call or see if Washington will accept it. Thank you.

It isn't necessary to feed excess crude protein to chickens if it is a high quality protein with higher levels of essential amino acids. They can only utilize a given amount of protein. Excess must be processed by the liver and ends up in the bedding as ammonia.

Unfortunately, Idaho only excepts specimens from a vet with "rare exceptions." I'll try to give them a call or see if Washington will accept it. Thank you.
Sorry, that's too bad. Maybe they take their lead from Canada. Canadian labs only accept submission from a vet also.

ETA
It doesn't say anything about needing to be a vet to submiit.
  • A submission form and/or regulatory forms should accompany all submissions.
  • Test results are provided to the submitting client.
  • Fees for laboratory services will be charged to the submitting client. Fees are subject to change without notice.
  • Services will not be offered to clients with accounts that are greater than 90 days past due.
  • Shipping charges and laboratory charges will be added to account for specimens forwarded to a referral laboratory.
  • Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE) owner submitted samples, payment must be received before testing will be completed.
  • Please contact ISDA-AHL personnel prior to submitting a large number of specimens.

Sorry, that's too bad. Maybe they take their lead from Canada. Canadian labs only accept submission from a vet also.

ETA
It doesn't say anything about needing to be a vet to submiit.
  • A submission form and/or regulatory forms should accompany all submissions.
  • Test results are provided to the submitting client.
  • Fees for laboratory services will be charged to the submitting client. Fees are subject to change without notice.
  • Services will not be offered to clients with accounts that are greater than 90 days past due.
  • Shipping charges and laboratory charges will be added to account for specimens forwarded to a referral laboratory.
  • Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE) owner submitted samples, payment must be received before testing will be completed.
  • Please contact ISDA-AHL personnel prior to submitting a large number of specimens.
I just called Washington and they were happy to take her. Just have to overnight her to them. I will let you all know if there are answers for her death.

Back
Top Bottom