Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome?

Only 12 months! She molted very early, as well, at about 10 months. We 'inherited' our flock just before laying age, so I don't know where they came from. She laid up a storm, then stopped when she molted, and had just started back up a few weeks ago, about 3 a week. Seemed absolutely healthy when I had her in the yard the other day -- the other girls seem fine.

Big BUMMER. I found my 1 year old rhode island red dead as a door nail under the roost this morning. I have a mixed flock. She was the only RIR I had. Totally bummed. Beautiful brick back and mahogany true to form hen. Sucks

Big BUMMER. I found my 1 year old rhode island red dead as a door nail under the roost this morning. I have a mixed flock. She was the only RIR I had. Totally bummed. Beautiful brick back and mahogany true to form hen. Sucks

So sorry, the RIR are beautiful, I have my first one right now, Strawberry. You should be able to get a few over at TSC or another local hatchery right now.

Sorry about losing your RIR. I have several of the old line RIR like yours, and they have been the most calm and gentle chickens I have owned. They are nothing lke the hatchery RIR who are more mixed with other laying breeds. I would send you some eggs, but I lost my only rooster this past year. Here is the best place to locate some replacement chicks, especially in late fall when breeders are thinning their flocks for winter: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site/11810

This is my first post, but I just lost my flock of 5 barred rock they were 10 or 11 weeks old and they were perfectly fine one night when i went to see them and over night all 5 of them died, and there was no signs of an attack. I looked at the bodies no marks on them and there feathers were all in-tacked. I do not know if the water or feed is to blame but i drink the same water from the same well. There was severe winds that night witch i don't know if that is a fact, but i did have a fully enclosed hen house with they had been in for around a month and with in that time there had been a lot of gale wind's most days because i live in the high desert so it wasn't there first time with the strong wind. I'm wondering if it is common of 5 bird to dope dead over night? I'm truly saddened by the lost of my birds and just trying to understand if that is a normal thing for that to happen.

Thank you for your time.

Call your state department of agriculture. If they are not any help call the Iowa state dept of agriculture or the Auburn University Poultry Science dept in Auburn Al. Iowa State Dept of Ag is very helpful and knowledgeable about chicken diseases, so is Auburn where they have a degree in how to farm chickens. I have heard a lot of stories like this one this year.

This is my first post, but I just lost my flock of 5 barred rock they were 10 or 11 weeks old and they were perfectly fine one night when i went to see them and over night all 5 of them died, and there was no signs of an attack. I looked at the bodies no marks on them and there feathers were all in-tacked. I do not know if the water or feed is to blame but i drink the same water from the same well. There was severe winds that night witch i don't know if that is a fact, but i did have a fully enclosed hen house with they had been in for around a month and with in that time there had been a lot of gale wind's most days because i live in the high desert so it wasn't there first time with the strong wind. I'm wondering if it is common of 5 bird to dope dead over night? I'm truly saddened by the lost of my birds and just trying to understand if that is a normal thing for that to happen.

Thank you for your time.
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, without testing/necropsy there is no way to know the cause of death. If you still have a body, sending it to your state lab would be a good idea.

Losing that many overnight is unusual. Having your feed checked would be a good idea.

I am a new chicken mom with my first flock that was born on May 10, 2016. We have two Easter Eggers, two Barred Rocks, and two RIRs. All were happy, healthy, and spoiled, and even made it through their first cold NY winter.

That was until I went out to let my girls out yesterday for some grass time. I found one of my Easter Eggers, Ginger, inside the run area, curled up and dead.
sad.png
Go figure, my boyfriend was out of town yesterday, and I am a hopeless animal lover, so this shook me to my core. She had no blood, no signs of trauma. She looked like she just fell asleep. I bravely wrapped her in a tshirt and then in a bag. I called my Dad, who was raised on a farm, who took her to my 97 year old Grandfather's house so he could do some investigating. My Grandpa has been a farmer all his life, and has done this many times.

I was assuming it was egg bound, or maybe some nutritional deficiency. I was wracking my brain. What Grandpa found was blood in her abdominal cavity and what looked like a clot. He also said that her liver didn't look "quite normal." He said he did not think it was fatty liver syndrome, as her liver did not have that look. Her reproductive system looked normal, and her crop had food and grit in it.

Any idea what could have caused this? Neither of us saw any changes in her - she was happily pecking around in the grass and running after their mealy worm treat the night before. I am an RN so naturally looking for a physiological explanation. I worry about the other 5, too. Of course, I do understand that there just might never be an answer without an official necropsy.

This is extremely disheartening - I have been crying ever since. I just lost my Grandmother three weeks ago as well, so I am not emotionally stable to begin with.

Thank you in advance for your input and advice.

Kristin

Last edited:
I am a new chicken mom with my first flock that was born on May 10, 2016. We have two Easter Eggers, two Barred Rocks, and two RIRs. All were happy, healthy, and spoiled, and even made it through their first cold NY winter.

That was until I went out to let my girls out yesterday for some grass time. I found one of my Easter Eggers, Ginger, inside the run area, curled up and dead.
sad.png
Go figure, my boyfriend was out of town yesterday, and I am a hopeless animal lover, so this shook me to my core. She had no blood, no signs of trauma. She looked like she just fell asleep. I bravely wrapped her in a tshirt and then in a bag. I called my Dad, who was raised on a farm, who took her to my 97 year old Grandfather's house so he could do some investigating. My Grandpa has been a farmer all his life, and has done this many times.

I was assuming it was egg bound, or maybe some nutritional deficiency. I was wracking my brain. What Grandpa found was blood in her abdominal cavity and what looked like a clot. He also said that her liver didn't look "quite normal." He said he did not think it was fatty liver syndrome, as her liver did not have that look. Her reproductive system looked normal, and her crop had food and grit in it.

Any idea what could have caused this? Neither of us saw any changes in her - she was happily pecking around in the grass and running after their mealy worm treat the night before. I am an RN so naturally looking for a physiological explanation. I worry about the other 5, too. Of course, I do understand that there just might never be an answer without an official necropsy.

This is extremely disheartening - I have been crying ever since. I just lost my Grandmother three weeks ago as well, so I am not emotionally stable to begin with.

Thank you in advance for your input and advice.

Kristin
Hi Kristin, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother
hugs.gif

To be honest, I just don't know what caused your Ginger's death.

Did you happen to take any photos?

I'm not an expert with necropsy, but from what you describe the first thing that comes to mind is Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome. Blood clots and the liver not quite right...but who knows. The liver can look enlarge, pale, brittle, yellow, greasy, soft and/or engorged in fat.

Just my thoughts.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...oultry/219/fatty-liver-haemorrhagic-syndrome/
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poult...f-fatty-liver-hemorrhagic-syndrome-in-poultry

Hi Kristin, I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandmother
hugs.gif

To be honest, I just don't know what caused your Ginger's death.

Did you happen to take any photos?

I'm not an expert with necropsy, but from what you describe the first thing that comes to mind is Fatty Liver Hemorrhagic Syndrome. Blood clots and the liver not quite right...but who knows. The liver can look enlarge, pale, brittle, yellow, greasy, soft and/or engorged in fat.

Just my thoughts.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...oultry/219/fatty-liver-haemorrhagic-syndrome/
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poult...f-fatty-liver-hemorrhagic-syndrome-in-poultry

I had thought of fatty liver when researching, but Grandpa said that she also seemed underweight with less breast meat than he would expect, which I would not expect from what I've read about fatty liver...seems that typically, those birds would be overweight - am I wrong about that? My dad was there when Grandpa did his "inspection," and he said that her liver didn't resemble the fatty liver of pictures we have seen online.

I do realize that sometimes there is simply no explanation. I wish I wasn't such a sensitive person, because I can think about right now is her poor little body curled up there, her little feathers blowing in the breeze. To think that she suffered even for a minute just breaks my heart in two - then again, I have been told many times that I am over-sensitive.

Maybe she was predestined for this. Who's to say? Last summer, while my girls were out free ranging in the summer sun, I came out to the screams, and saw my little Ginger running for cover. A hawk had come down and nearly missed her. She burrowed herself in some plants. I do feel like ever since, whenever she would hear a bird or a startling sound, she would run for the coop. Maybe her little heart just couldn't take it. No matter what, my heart is broken and she is so dearly missed. I pray that it gets easier as I get used to being a chicken mom, but I fear it won't. Thankful for all of you here!!!

Back
Top Bottom