Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome?

Pics

dsmdaryl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 8, 2008
North Central PA
Ok, so I have a flock of Buffs with 2 (well 1 now) roosters. They are about 15 weeks old. They're happy, well-fed, and seem healthy, even this one I'm telling you about. The wife went out to feed them today, and all were fine, when she turned around one of the roosters was laying on the ground deader than a doornail. I went out, no wounds, no indication of blood anywhere (I checked well), no foam at the mouth that may have indicated choking (no jokes please.lol). Any idea what I'm looking at here? Not really into performing autopsies, but would like to know what would make a chicken drop dead instantly.

So, what you are telling me are my new edible pets aren't even good at staying alive?
Crap.
If this keeps up I'm going to coin a new phrase:
"dropping like chickens."

Does anyone else not find it a little disturbing? Kind of like that scene in the Matrix where that bald dude starts unplugging people and they drop on the spot? Now I have to worry that the bald dude is gonna start unplugging my chickens.... where is Neo when you need him?

I would be greatly disturbed. But they, like any other animal, can have a heart attack and hit the ground or just die of natural causes.

Yep. Common times for birds to "just drop dead" are within the first 10 days or so, then at a few months old, at point of lay, and then into their second year... not to mention chickens seem to be "natures snack". Everything wants to eat them.

I'm still having a hard time finding one of mine dead yesterday! She was 8 months old and laying up to 5 eggs a week on a consistant basis. She too was well fed, happy....then puff! Sorry dsmdaryl, I DO know how you're feeling
sad.png

I've had 2 hens for a year now. 1 rhode island red and 1 black australorp. Yesterday the Australorp just died. No warning. No signs of foul play. Not a ruffled feather. They free range in the daytime when I'm home and I went out early evening and she was just lying in a sandy spot, dead. She'd layed an egg in the morning, did her usual clucking and running around the yard when I let her into the yard late in the morning...
Any advice on introducing a new hen to our remaining RI Red? She seems SO lonely without her lifelong companion.

It's nice to have a place where people understand the joy my chicken brings me. I went to get her eggs this am and there she was just lying stiff. Oh, she was like my pet, followed me around came when called, liked when I helped her find good worm places.
She started coming on the front porch and wanting to come inside. She would sit and let me hold her, she actually would nuzzle my neck.

I knew you chicken lovers would understand...Bye Oreo, you were a great chicken!!!

BTW... no foul play, she was only 3 years old...what in the world happened???
hit.gif

Last edited:
I found one of my Campine's dead this evening. No visible signs of trauma. She wasn't an old chicken by any means. Just 8 months old. Just hoping it's nothing that will affect the entire flock.

I found my 5 month old light Brahma hen laying on her side legs stretched out and stiff yesterday morning. she was not dead but so close to it. she had not been acting odd or anything. There was nothing I could do but put her down. I was heart broken. None of the rest of the flock are showing any signs of sickness.

Back
Top Bottom