Sudden chicken death

frecklesfarm

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
Holly, MI
I got 6 buff chicks this past September from My Pet Chicken. All 6 have been in good health (eating well, energetic, etc.). This morning I went out and checked on everything in the coop like I always do and everything was fine plenty of food, clean water, chickens all accounted for and acting normal. Then tonight I come home to one of the chickens dead and even worse another of the chickens is kind of droopy looking for lack of a better description. The other 4 seem fine. The dead chicken had a little blood on her beak that I had noticed a few days ago, but it seemed minor at the time. When I first noticed the blood earlier in the week I thought it was maybe just from one of the other chickens establishing the pecking order and they were all acting perfectly fine. I was gone most of the day but my husband did mention that the chickens were very noisy today which is very unusual for them. We disposed of the dead chicken, but I'm not sure about how to proceed with the others.

Have you seen any blood in their poops? With chicks this young, when they get sick one of the first things that comes to mind is coccidiosis which may or may not cause bloody diarrhea. Other symptoms are acting weak and lethargic, standing puffed up or having trouble standing, ruffled neck feathers, and a poor appetite. It can be very common when they get on soil. Treatment is Corid (amprollium, Ampromed, amprol in Canada, Coxoid in Europe.) Corid won't hurt them if cocci is not their problem, but chicks may die if not treated if they have it. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, followed by giving vitamins and probiotics for several more days. Have you noticed any respiratory symptoms such as gasping, head shaking, or coughing up bloody mucus that could be symptoms of ILT?

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

Last edited:
They've had a good appetite and no blood in their poop. The chicken looking droopy last night was dead this morning. All of the others are acting normal and eating well. i'm hoping whatever killed the other two won't affect the remaining chickens.

They've had a good appetite and no blood in their poop. The chicken looking droopy last night was dead this morning. All of the others are acting normal and eating well. i'm hoping whatever killed the other two won't affect the remaining chickens.
Sorry for you loss and welcome to BYC. Might be a good idea to send your deceased off for a necropsy. Many states offer a free or low cost service, so it's definitely worth looking into.

State Vets

Labs listed by State

This is how I send mine to the CA lab:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom