sudden death -6 week gosling

Discussion in 'Geese' started by SQContrary, Jun 29, 2011.

1. SQContrary

SQContrary Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    Oklahoma County
    Hello,
    We had a pair of african geese goslings about 6 weeks old. Today ToughNut was just lying dead next to a water bowl. No sign of injury. Sort of looked like he was just napping there but he normally naps by the house not in the hot sun. We got a new puppy who I (yes I am an idiot) expected them to keep in line (they totally do my cats and she is much smaller) but they just ran and she pounced on one and I grabbed her. Then the geese went in their pool and swam and all seemed fine. It is a very hot here lately and they have probably gotten less fresh greens than usually. There feces is usually very thin and watery. Is that abormal? I have 10 pullets (also 6 weeks) who hang out in the same yard. I am trying to figure out what to do now. Quarantine the other goose? Or do you think its safe to assume the puppy actually hurt it, or that they have had a problem for some time (ie loose stools)? Sure didn't seem like the puppy got it, but maybe I missed something else. If anyone has any advice please give it.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, I guess its possible that the puppy caused some kind of internal injury. But you would think the bird would have acted like something was wrong afterwards.

Its SO hard to say sometimes what happened. They can seem fine and then just die suddenly.

No, it probably shouldn't be thin and watery all the time, but they can be at times and everything is fine -- it depends on what they were eating a couple of hours ago, or it seems to me, sometimes, like what they ate 20 minutes ago. I know when I let them out on the lawn to graze, it seems like it only takes 20-30 minutes for the color to change from the yellowish brown when they were eating goose/duck pellets to green from grazing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by