Sudden death of a chicken

Bugsy, it sounds like you gave her excellent care and were devoted to her wellbeing. But as others have said, sometimes it just happens. It happened to me too, a couple of weeks ago. Just when I was counting my blessings that all five were so healthy and well-cared for. Came home from work and she was fine-looking, but dead.

Please get a few more, maybe three. Chickens are so wonderfully dopey, funny, and endearing.

I would, too... at least two more.
wink.png

Also, just think of how happy you made her during her last days... you never get used to the heartbreak when a pet dies, but the joy they bring far outweighs the sorrow.

Im really sorry that your hen died. As said, sometimes it just happens suddenly. There are a several diseases that can cause sudden death, such as lymphoid leukosis, fatty liver hemorrhagic disease, fowl cholera, none of which are very common.
Some other possible causes are hemorrhages, heart attack, and botulism.

It is really sad to lose a favorite hen, but dont let her death put you off of having more chickens.

Chel

Again, I like to thank you for all your kind words. At this time I have decided not to get any chickens. I live in a big city and owing a chicken in the City is against our by-laws. I never realize how much joy a chicken could give someone.
I recused her from an industrial core...god only knows how she even got there. She wondered around for 4 days before my Daughter and I caught her and decided to bring her home. She survived, cayotes, hawks, cats and transport truck. She was very scrawny and her feathers very dull from the diet she had before we caught her...we did alot of reseach on the care of chickens...built her a lovely coop within a month, she had gained weight, her feathers glisten...she was so happy...she started to produce eggs for us and that was a real treat.
Her sudden death still tugs at my heart and will for a long time....everytime I look at all the eggs she laid I cry. I know in time it will be easier, and I know you must think I am a big sap, but I love all critters their unconditional love is something everyone should experience.
Again, thank you for all your kind words and advise.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom