Sudden death of a hen

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Silverbird99, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River

Yep... we all have a date. She was surrounded by her kids and happy. Perfect ending! I am sorry she left you so sudden. Looks like her legend will carry on in her peeps!

2. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    You could do a necropsy. I’m one to want to know why. If your not able send her to the state lab.
    I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s awful to loose any. But when it happens so out of the blue it’s just harder. I pray you find peace. It sounds as if she had a wonderful life. Best wishes

3. Silverbird99

Silverbird99 Hatching

Oct 18, 2018
    She was a King Quail. I should've specified that in the original post sorry

4. Silverbird99

Silverbird99 Hatching

Oct 18, 2018
    I couldn't see any signs of poisoning. Nor is there anything around where I live and where I keep them that would. Unless something got into the aviary while she was still outside but I would've thought some of my others would have gone as well. Are there any poisons that take a long time to act? She was inside two days before she died

5. Silverbird99

Silverbird99 Hatching

Oct 18, 2018
    I do. I've done it successfully before with a hen that already had chicks and the other mother just wanted nothing to do with them. Most of my quails are the cinnamon colour and they have a completely different temperament to the normal and silver ones. Might stick with the brooder though anyway

6. Silverbird99

Silverbird99 Hatching

Oct 18, 2018
    Hopefully! Her chicks look like they're going to grow up just like her. If they're girls that is.

7. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India

I feel for her an you buddy :hugs
    I can understand your loss and m sorry for it

Well, heart attack can be a reason after I read your words like she lay down and go in her forever sleep

Happens mostly with hens who are heavyweight breeds or on high energy feed
    What u feed her?

I suspect cognitive heart failure:( is going on with ur beautiful bird I'm so sorry

8. Silverbird99

Silverbird99 Hatching

Oct 18, 2018
    I've already buried her unfortunately. I'm not even sure there is a lab around here that would do it on her for me. I'll have to look into it if another one passes but I'm hoping not. With any luck it was just age

9. Silverbird99

Silverbird99 Hatching

Oct 18, 2018
    I feed them a 24% protein game bird mix powdered and mixed with a budgie seed. I've been feeding them it for years and this was the first death like it.

Feather Hearts and Saaniya like this.
  10. Saaniya

Saaniya Crowing

Aug 31, 2017
    New Delhi India

Game Bird mix usually build high energy as that feed designed for game birds maybe she can't tolerate that much high energy
    I've read that when hen hatch eggs it takes so much energy ..

My condolence with u :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: