Sudden death of a hen

Silverbird99

Hatching
Oct 18, 2018
One of my girls hatched a couple chicks the other day. They were all happy in a playpen I set up for them, she's a beautiful bird and was a great mother. Successfully hatched a dozen last year. I went out today to check on her and her bubs and she had died. Usually when one of my birds dies and crosses the rainbow bridge, I can determine a cause but this time I have no idea.

She was in a playpen, just her and her chicks, that has soft mesh walls and a mesh roof so it can't be a broken neck or head trauma from bouncing after being startled. She wasn't egg bound and there was no blood or evidence of any foul play. It was like she had just laid down and died. The room wasn't cold, and there are no stressful factors in or around it. I've used it successfully for years for sick or injured birds and mothers. Unfortunately it happened overnight so I didn't actually see it happen. She had been dead for awhile when I found her this morning.

Her chicks are both fine, just a little upset. I've moved them into a brooder for now until I can see if I can get one of my other girls to foster them. Does anyone have any ideas about what happened to the mum?

One of my girls hatched a couple chicks the other day. They were all happy in a playpen I set up for them, she's a beautiful bird and was a great mother. Successfully hatched a dozen last year. I went out today to check on her and her bubs and she had died. Usually when one of my birds dies and crosses the rainbow bridge, I can determine a cause but this time I have no idea.

She was in a playpen, just her and her chicks, that has soft mesh walls and a mesh roof so it can't be a broken neck or head trauma from bouncing after being startled. She wasn't egg bound and there was no blood or evidence of any foul play. It was like she had just laid down and died. The room wasn't cold, and there are no stressful factors in or around it. I've used it successfully for years for sick or injured birds and mothers. Unfortunately it happened overnight so I didn't actually see it happen. She had been dead for awhile when I found her this morning.

Her chicks are both fine, just a little upset. I've moved them into a brooder for now until I can see if I can get one of my other girls to foster them. Does anyone have any ideas about what happened to the mum?
I am very new and have no ideas for you but wanted to say I am sorry for your loss... very sad.

Their poor little bodies wear out quickly. The average like is three years. Some live longer. It may have just been her time to go. She had a long and it sounds like happy life.
Maybe. She wasn't giving any signs though. Not hunched over or fluffed up. She still seemed like she was in her prime. It was just quite sudden, thanks for the theory

I have had birds (other types just getting into quail) look healthy and do that. Everything from chickens to parrots. Just hearing the evidence I would say her heart have out cause of her age. Looking at the facts.
She was in a secure place with no evidence of foul play ( chicks still in good shape) no evidence of disease ( again chicks were in good condition) and soft area where she could not have hurt herself. Seems likely it was her time. Sorry for your loss.

My guess would be age.

She may have been fine, but when she hatched her chickens they might have been enough just to finish her off. Sorry for your loss.

On another note i wouldn't try to put the chickens in with another hen, high risk of the hen killing them, unless you have another hen that is broody that has been on the nest for a week. (Not with chicks)

Back
Top Bottom