Sudden Death

What I do, to teach the young birds, is carve the kernels off an ear of corn. I then call them over and toss a handful of corn into the center of my wading area. They try "ducking for apples" but don't like putting their heads in the water. In the meantime, they are realizing how great that cool water feels on their hot legs.

But 12 pound Big Mama doesn't care about getting her head wet. She is GETTING that corn.

View attachment 1825598
That made me chuckle out loud! What a great idea! :lau

Fatty liver disease or heart problems can cause sudden death too..16% protein is best for non hybrid layers.
Great ideas and you’re obviously a ninja. But here in the humid South I worry about moisture related fungal infections. Plus standing water attracts even more flies and mosquitoes, right?
I am in Western Australia and it gets very hot here too. I freeze corn kernels into muffin size ice blocks and put them out for the girls. They love them and the ice helps to cool them down as well as hydrating them.

Regarding fatty liver disease,
Flies? I never see flies near the water.
Mosquitoes? Birds, with their microscopic vision would eagerly gobble any pupae.
They also take days to develop and I replace the water every day.
Gotta tell you, I we have these bright green, iridescent flies on every pile of chicken droppings. I try and rake dust over them once a day but they're relentless. Diatomaceous earth helps but only until the next set of droppings. Currently 13 adult hens and 13 young-un's. Drives me nuts.

we have these bright green, iridescent flies on every pile of chicken droppings... Drives me nuts.

I am trying homemade traps with a funnel made from a paper plate mounted on top of a giant peanut butter jar but it is only catching a few.

I'm going to pick up some glue boards and bait them. I've got high hopes.

I was once waiting at a deli counter on Long Island. It was an Italian deli and there were about a dozen other people clustered around the glass case.
They had all kinds of imported salami and cheeses hanging from the ceiling.
Right in the middle was one of these hanging glue ribbons for flies.
That fly tape was standing room only. They were three flies deep all over it. There was not a speck of the yellow tape showing anywhere. I felt like all of us were mesmerized by it.

It was my turn to order. I said; "Let me have a half a pound of roast beast. A half pound of Provolone ..." I then paused for a moment before adding; "And I'll take a quarter pound of the flies."
The room erupted.

I am trying homemade traps with a funnel made from a paper plate mounted on top of a giant peanut butter jar but it is only catching a few.

I'm going to pick up some glue boards and bait them. I've got high hopes.

I was once waiting at a deli counter on Long Island. It was an Italian deli and there were about a dozen other people clustered around the glass case.
They had all kinds of imported salami and cheeses hanging from the ceiling.
Right in the middle was one of these hanging glue ribbons for flies.
That fly tape was standing room only. They were three flies deep all over it. There was not a speck of the yellow tape showing anywhere. I felt like all of us were mesmerized by it.

It was my turn to order. I said; "Let me have a half a pound of roast beast. A half pound of Provolone ..." I then paused for a moment before adding; "And I'll take a quarter pound of the flies."
The room erupted.
:lau:lau:lau

Back
Top Bottom