Sudden Death

Mamapio

Chirping
Nov 7, 2020
Eastern North Carolina
Our sapphire gem died suddenly today. She was fine in the morning and laid a normal egg. Four hours later she was on the ground in the run, still warm with no injuries. It felt like she had small rocks in her crop.
I am going to contact our vet Monday to see about a necropsy. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on what happened? We have three other chickens, 2 EE and 1 gold laced Wyandotte. They seem fine but I am worried. They had been out free ranging in the yard. She may have eaten oak leaves, acorns, fern, gulf fritillary caterpillars, or sweet potato leaves in the compost.

Our sapphire gem died suddenly today. She was fine in the morning and laid a normal egg. Four hours later she was on the ground in the run, still warm with no injuries. It felt like she had small rocks in her crop.
I am going to contact our vet Monday to see about a necropsy. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas on what happened? We have three other chickens, 2 EE and 1 gold laced Wyandotte. They seem fine but I am worried. They had been out free ranging in the yard. She may have eaten oak leaves, acorns, fern, gulf fritillary caterpillars, or sweet potato leaves in the compost.
:hugs
I'm sorry for your loss

I am sorry for your loss.
Do you feed treats?
Fatty liver disease kills quick...with no signs.

Your state lab will be able to do a necropsy for you, probably cheaper than a vet. Or your vet will probably send it to the lab for you.

What state are you in?

Could she have eaten something? Make sure your food isn't moldy. do you have any poisonous snakes/bugs/spiders in your area? Necropsy is a great idea. Sorry for your loss!
It was a new bag of food, opened this week and it seems ok. The food outside did get rained on. I wonder if it could have molded in one day?
We do have poisonous snakes and spiders, but it has been cool so I haven’t seen them out.

I am sorry for your loss.
Do you feed treats?
Fatty liver disease kills quick...with no signs.

Your state lab will be able to do a necropsy for you, probably cheaper than a vet. Or your vet will probably send it to the lab for you.

What state are you in?
I am in Eastern NC. The state labs seem to be far away. Is it posible to mail them body?

It was a new bag of food, opened this week and it seems ok. The food outside did get rained on. I wonder if it could have molded in one day?
We do have poisonous snakes and spiders, but it has been cool so I haven’t seen them out.
Check the food just incase to amen sure. You can inspect her for bites that could be the cause too.

Back
Top Bottom