Sudden Death!

Oct 26, 2020
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Serama, a year or two, light and thin. Empty crop. VERY purple comb.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I got her out of the nestboxes lethargic, heavy breathing, and eyes closed. I thought she would die but 8+ hours later she died. When she died she was twitching flapping her wings with eyes closed. She excreted a green liquid from her vents and drooled chicken food saliva. She had not eaten for 15+ hours.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
24 hours or so.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
I found her under a hen in the nestboxes. None of the chickens or ducks are exhibiting ANY symptoms.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No bleeding or visible injury.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I am worried about a virus or internal injury but I am not sure now.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
No eating and a few gulps of sugar water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
No poop.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Sadly, she died. Autopsy not an option, UNLESS the majority thinks it could save my flock.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
( )
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
A coop with 15 chickens, 2 roosts, 3 nest boxes, aspen shavings, and a run.

Please ask LOTS of questions. I am sad and afraid for the flock with this sudden death and all help is appreciated, thank you!

Sudden death of otherwise healthy birds is rarely from an infectious entity; therefore, my gut is that your flock is safe. I wonder if the other hen in the nest box inadvertently suffocated her causing a heart attack.

Sudden death of otherwise healthy birds is rarely from an infectious entity; therefore, my gut is that your flock is safe. I wonder if the other hen in the nest box inadvertently suffocated her causing a heart attack.
Good.

She died 8+ hours after I found her. She died slowly..
I did worry about her being under the hen.

Back
Top Bottom