Sudden Duckling Deaths

Here is a good picture of a duck umbilicus. From: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ll-detatched-shipped-eggs/26590#post_13437368

One is all the way out and mostly dry. The other is still absorbing.

IMG_20140505_233049_zpsehy5u86x.jpg

I just got up and found the second is out of it's egg but laying twitching still connected to the egg by

IMG_20140506_101620_zpslsuehhgh.jpg

I'm not meaning with it. Unless you say I should.

-Kathy

Last edited:
If it look like yolk, it probably was yolk. The umbilicus and vent are very close and people often mistake one for the other.

-Kathy

Thanks for the info it was not the cord 100% sure cuz I could see the dried up cord this was definitely the vent! Any idea of what the little guy died from? It was a horrible smell like rotten and I do think it was yoke for sure! I just need peace of mind, to know what went wrong I just don't understand it was fine one minute and then the next thing I no it's dead!! Is crazy & sad!

The ducklings are all from the same hatch ... All arrived at the feed store the same day ... All drank and ate with gusto until death. I'll check the lamp. That's a great tip!
You need to 'prime' all new heat globes as they give off a toxic smell. I have to do itfor my reptiles. Leave new lamp on for 24 hours NOT INSIDE their closure.

Back
Top Bottom