Sudden Duckling Deaths

LeslieDJoyce

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 30, 2012
Sherwood, OR
My Coop
My Coop
We recently brought 5 Pekin ducks home from the feed store last week, two female and one male. They all seem to be doing so well, and then they die. It seems to take no time at all for them to go from running around peeping, drinking and eating eating ... to dead.

What am I missing? What can cause Sudden Duckling Death syndrome?

Here are the details:

After the first one died this weekend we thought it might be one of those random things ... but we haven't lost any other birds like that, so we were upset. After the second one died we thought it might be niacin deficiency so added niacin to the drinking water. That was late yesterday. At the same time we brought home two replacement ducklings as well as a third (these were the last of the batch ours came in, and we took the extra one so it wouldn't be left alone) -- that means we brought home 8 total. We tucked them into the brooder with the three survivors from the first batch at about 8:30 pm, with fresh bedding and fresh niacin water. By 2 am one more had died (it had obviously died very recently), and this morning at about 7 am one more already dead and one was failing -- that fifth one was dead by 9 am. It is possible the three survivors are the three we brought home yesterday, but unfortunately there is no way to tell at this point. I'm wishing I hadn't mixed them.

The feed store says they lost none of them in the store, and haven't heard from other customers about any of the others dying.

Too hot/too cold?

We have them in a big plastic bin in our house with a heat lamp above, same as we've done for many of the other birds we've hatched here during their first week.

Inexperience?

We have successfully raised a good quantity and variety of chickens in this system (most recently Cornish X) as well as turkeys and pheasants. We have hatched some ducklings under a broody hen out in the coop, let her raise them and had good luck with those, too. Our first two ducks came here mature, so this is our first attempt at hand raising ducklings.

Wrong bedding?

We are using towels for bedding ... they were on sawdust pellets at the feed store. I wash the towels with bleach, then give them an extra rinse before drying. As you can imagine, we change the bedding frequently.

Food?

They are eating Flock Raiser -- the same as they got at the store -- the end of a bag that I'd been using for the Cornish X that were just moved to the grow-out coop, so I doubt it is a bad batch of feed. I sprinkle the feed with chick grit. I dump the soiled/wet feed when I change their bedding. We have given them no "treats."

Water?

They do seem to lose interest in the water after it has been in the brooder box for very long, so we change it out often and then they go crazy for it, which worries me a bit. Once, over night, they managed to splash enough to empty the quart waterer we were using at first, so we switched to a gallon size waterer and raised it up a tiny bit ... it is the same type and size of waterer as they use in the feed store, and I can say with confidence we do keep the water cleaner here, and it can't be getting any warmer than they were used to in the store. They seem to be able to wash their faces in this waterer, and also get their feet wet and splash around in it, then preen.

Choking?

One towel did have a few frayed strings they were fascinated with, so I was worried they might choke on the threads and when I changed that out I haven't used it again. We transfer them to the big box we brought them home in to change out their brooder ... in this box there are shavings. They don't seem to be choking on the shavings when they are in the box, but I suppose it is possible the shavings get stuck in their crop and cause a delayed problem.

Virus?

I have read about a kind of virus ducks can get that will kill them very rapidly ... that's one possibility. We do have a lot of chickens here as well as a few other ducks and there is just no way I can completely sterilize myself between caring for the outside birds and caring for the ducklings. I wear gloves when I'm with the chickens, and when I come inside I wash my hands, take off the outer layer of my clothes, and change from my coop shoes. I can't guarantee everyone in this household follows those minimal precautions. Nevertheless, I don't expect our flock has been exposed to very many bird diseases unless it was from wild birds ... all but three of our other birds (currently chickens and ducks) were raised here from either hatchery stock or from our own eggs hatched under our own broodies. Our flock (about 120 birds) seems to be healthy.

Obviously it is quite upsetting to have the absolutely adorable ducklings dying like this. I feel terribly guilty.

I have pre-ordered a few other breeds of ducklings from the feed store, and am reluctant to bring them home unless/until we can figure out what's happening here and fix it.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you in advance for any replies.

We recently brought 5 Pekin ducks home from the feed store last week, two female and one male. They all seem to be doing so well, and then they die. It seems to take no time at all for them to go from running around peeping, drinking and eating eating ... to dead.

What am I missing? What can cause Sudden Duckling Death syndrome?

Here are the details:

After the first one died this weekend we thought it might be one of those random things ... but we haven't lost any other birds like that, so we were upset. After the second one died we thought it might be niacin deficiency so added niacin to the drinking water. That was late yesterday. At the same time we brought home two replacement ducklings as well as a third (these were the last of the batch ours came in, and we took the extra one so it wouldn't be left alone) -- that means we brought home 8 total. We tucked them into the brooder with the three survivors from the first batch at about 8:30 pm, with fresh bedding and fresh niacin water. By 2 am one more had died (it had obviously died very recently), and this morning at about 7 am one more already dead and one was failing -- that fifth one was dead by 9 am. It is possible the three survivors are the three we brought home yesterday, but unfortunately there is no way to tell at this point. I'm wishing I hadn't mixed them.

The feed store says they lost none of them in the store, and haven't heard from other customers about any of the others dying.

Too hot/too cold?

We have them in a big plastic bin in our house with a heat lamp above, same as we've done for many of the other birds we've hatched here during their first week.
What is the temperature in the bin? Heat and cold can both kill.

Inexperience?

We have successfully raised a good quantity and variety of chickens in this system (most recently Cornish X) as well as turkeys and pheasants. We have hatched some ducklings under a broody hen out in the coop, let her raise them and had good luck with those, too. Our first two ducks came here mature, so this is our first attempt at hand raising ducklings.
I, personally, think that ducklings are harder to raise than chickens. They need to learn everything more and don't follow the lead as well as chicks do.

Wrong bedding?

We are using towels for bedding ... they were on sawdust pellets at the feed store. I wash the towels with bleach, then give them an extra rinse before drying. As you can imagine, we change the bedding frequently.
Unless something odd, towels should be fine.
Food?

They are eating Flock Raiser -- the same as they got at the store -- the end of a bag that I'd been using for the Cornish X that were just moved to the grow-out coop, so I doubt it is a bad batch of feed. I sprinkle the feed with chick grit. I dump the soiled/wet feed when I change their bedding. We have given them no "treats."
Fine
Water?

They do seem to lose interest in the water after it has been in the brooder box for very long, so we change it out often and then they go crazy for it, which worries me a bit. Once, over night, they managed to splash enough to empty the quart waterer we were using at first, so we switched to a gallon size waterer and raised it up a tiny bit ... it is the same type and size of waterer as they use in the feed store, and I can say with confidence we do keep the water cleaner here, and it can't be getting any warmer than they were used to in the store. They seem to be able to wash their faces in this waterer, and also get their feet wet and splash around in it, then preen.
Sounds okay. As long as they don't run out. They can choke on feed if no water is available.
Choking?

One towel did have a few frayed strings they were fascinated with, so I was worried they might choke on the threads and when I changed that out I haven't used it again. We transfer them to the big box we brought them home in to change out their brooder ... in this box there are shavings. They don't seem to be choking on the shavings when they are in the box, but I suppose it is possible the shavings get stuck in their crop and cause a delayed problem.
Doubtful on the towel or shavings. Ducklings "taste" everything but usually don't eat shavings.
Virus?

I have read about a kind of virus ducks can get that will kill them very rapidly ... that's one possibility. We do have a lot of chickens here as well as a few other ducks and there is just no way I can completely sterilize myself between caring for the outside birds and caring for the ducklings. I wear gloves when I'm with the chickens, and when I come inside I wash my hands, take off the outer layer of my clothes, and change from my coop shoes. I can't guarantee everyone in this household follows those minimal precautions. Nevertheless, I don't expect our flock has been exposed to very many bird diseases unless it was from wild birds ... all but three of our other birds (currently chickens and ducks) were raised here from either hatchery stock or from our own eggs hatched under our own broodies. Our flock (about 120 birds) seems to be healthy.
Possible but unlikely since none of the store's birds died and all of the ducklings haven't died.

Obviously it is quite upsetting to have the absolutely adorable ducklings dying like this. I feel terribly guilty.

I have pre-ordered a few other breeds of ducklings from the feed store, and am reluctant to bring them home unless/until we can figure out what's happening here and fix it.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you for taking the time to read this, and thank you in advance for any replies.
Best bet, check the temp. Ducklings don't need as much heat as chickens. Theoretically, with the size difference between week old and day old ducklings (if thats what you had) the older could trample the younger.

Again, theoretically, heat and some plastics can give off toxic fumes. There was also a problem that some were having with a heat lamp that was coated in teflon killing young ones. I don't know that the bulbs were rated for brooders though.

When bringing them home make sure to dunk their bill in the waterer and ensure they drink.

Best bet, check the temp.  Ducklings don't need as much heat as chickens.  Theoretically, with the size difference between week old and day old ducklings (if thats what you had) the older could trample the younger. 

Again, theoretically, heat and some plastics can give off toxic fumes.  There was also a problem that some were having with a heat lamp that was coated in teflon killing young ones.  I don't know that the bulbs were rated for brooders though.

When bringing them home make sure to dunk their bill in the waterer and ensure they drink.

The ducklings are all from the same hatch ... All arrived at the feed store the same day ... All drank and ate with gusto until death. I'll check the lamp. That's a great tip!

Best bet, check the temp. Ducklings don't need as much heat as chickens. Theoretically, with the size difference between week old and day old ducklings (if thats what you had) the older could trample the younger.

Again, theoretically, heat and some plastics can give off toxic fumes. There was also a problem that some were having with a heat lamp that was coated in teflon killing young ones. I don't know that the bulbs were rated for brooders though.

Update: I did check the temp carefully through the day today. This is the one thing I had delegated as I have some trouble with my eyes that makes reading the various thermometers difficult for me. I think it had gotten a bit too cool in the brooder, especially considering the ducklings like to get themselves and their bedding wet. Knowing ducklings don't like it as warm as chickens, my delegate (?) had thought they were overly warm, so had moved the light. Even though I asked them to, I don't think the temperature was verified after the last move. I've made careful adjustments myself and will see if that helps with the remaining three. The ones that died did seem to take a turn for the worse after playing in the water after the lamp was moved further away from the brooder.

Again, I'll also check the specific brooder lamps I'm using to make sure they don't have teflon. The one in this brooder is the same lamp as I used with the batch of Cornish X I moved out the same day I moved the ducklings in, so doubt that's it, but it is a very good tip!

It sounds like they may have died from water logging. This happens when they don't drink water for a period of time and become thirsty and dehydrated. when they are finally given water, they over drink and pretty much die of too much water consumption which leads to constant choking on the water and brain damage in a sense that causes them to have a seizure and die instantaneously. to prevent this, when you get a new clutch of ducklings, give them water in 5-10 min increments every 30 minutes or so for a day... this will help their bodies adjust to it better rather them putting themselves in shock due to over-drinking.

It sounds like they may have died from water logging. This happens when they don't drink water for a period of time and become thirsty and dehydrated. when they are finally given water, they over drink and pretty much die of too much water consumption which leads to constant choking on the water and brain damage in a sense that causes them to have a seizure and die instantaneously. to prevent this, when you get a new clutch of ducklings, give them water in 5-10 min increments every 30 minutes or so for a day... this will help their bodies adjust to it better rather them putting themselves in shock due to over-drinking.

But I thought Leslie said they are eating and drinking consistently before they die? And I got the impression that they had water access at all times, so why would they wait to drink water and chug it when they decide to finally drink some? All of my ducks controlled their water intake very well as ducklings, and they had constant access to water. Sure it seemed like they were drinking a lot, but they were really just trying to play in it. I guess I'm not convinced that ducklings will "drown" themselves by the way they drink water. I'm still trying to understand how you arrived at this conclusion for Leslie. Is it that you think they were getting so cold that they kept huddled together until they were so thirsty? I get the impression that they were active in the brooder.

Leslie, what about fumes or toxins? I recently read a post about someone who was brooding in their kitchen. And when they would use teflon coated cookware, the ducklings started dying. It took them a while to realize that it was the cooking that released teflon fumes which was killing the ducklings. I am very conscious of any chemicals or strong smells when brooding. In fact, I would personally avoid using the typical amount of bleach, if at all, when cleaning their towels. It might not be getting completely rinsed out even with the extra rinse cycle. That's powerful stuff. Ducks are also sensitive to ammonia, even the ammonia in their poop if the bedding gets too soiled.

I'm really sorry to hear about your losses, hopefully you can find out what is going on.

But I thought Leslie said they are eating and drinking consistently before they die? And I got the impression that they had water access at all times, so why would they wait to drink water and chug it when they decide to finally drink some? All of my ducks controlled their water intake very well as ducklings, and they had constant access to water. Sure it seemed like they were drinking a lot, but they were really just trying to play in it. I guess I'm not convinced that ducklings will "drown" themselves by the way they drink water. I'm still trying to understand how you arrived at this conclusion for Leslie. Is it that you think they were getting so cold that they kept huddled together until they were so thirsty? I get the impression that they were active in the brooder.

Leslie, what about fumes or toxins? I recently read a post about someone who was brooding in their kitchen. And when they would use teflon coated cookware, the ducklings started dying. It took them a while to realize that it was the cooking that released teflon fumes which was killing the ducklings. I am very conscious of any chemicals or strong smells when brooding. In fact, I would personally avoid using the typical amount of bleach, if at all, when cleaning their towels. It might not be getting completely rinsed out even with the extra rinse cycle. That's powerful stuff. Ducks are also sensitive to ammonia, even the ammonia in their poop if the bedding gets too soiled.

I'm really sorry to hear about your losses, hopefully you can find out what is going on.

In the end we think the problm was water-rated. I now believe the chick/chicken-style waterers just weren't deep enough for the ducklings once they got a little bigger and that type of waterer just isn't stable so they got jostled & tilted too easily, making it even harder for the ducklings to get enough of a mouthful. We checked and refreshed their water every few hours, but we believe with the chicken waterers the ducklings couldn't get enough water in one gulp to swallow their food so they choked.

When we switched to heavy deep bowls for waterers, the remaining ducklings thrived. We started our next batches of ducklings on the deep dish waterers and they also thrived. We didn't lose a single duckling after we switched to open bowl waterers. That was all we changed. We used a big brooder area with heat at one end and food and water bowls at the other end ... messy, but effective.

I read a lot of advice about brooding ducklings that said the chicken waterers are great for ducklings and not to give the ducklings deeper open waterers because you don't want them getting wet. But I'm not sure how good that advice is. In the end, our ducklings had a ball getting wet and eating in the messy area, and then going and sleeping under the heat.

I don't believe there is any way that the amount of household bleach used in a load of laundry could ever cause any harm. I think people misunderstand household bleach.

I've read about Teflon, that some heat lamps are not appropriate to use in brooders because of their Teflon coating. We buy appropriate brooder lamps.

I really think it was a water problem ...

Last edited:
I have experience with ducks chickens and what not. 2 years ago I found a maybe 2 day old duckling she is great 2 years old and happy. so today I bought 1 duckling from this lady that I found online I work from home and have the time to take care of it till I can have it with my other ducks! she told me it was about 24 hours old, still had its egg tooth so I took it home had a cage with what it' needs heat lamp, food, warm water/ with vitamin mix, I kept an eye on it it seemed to be great, yet I noticed it did not poop, eat or drink since I got it, I did not think to much about the water and food because of it being only 24 hours old. It was peeping when I left the room and acting fine, then within 2 hours after getting the duckling it started to walk funny! So I checked it out and noticed that it's bum was hard and compacted with dried up poop, so I took a damp warm cloth to its bottom within seconds this yellowish brownish color liquid smiling poop blasted out! The duckling stopped breathing I gave it Duck CPR blowing into its beak gently pushing my finger on it chest to get Air in it's lungs! It started breathing on its own and then once again this nasty smiling poop squirted out of its bottom and it stopped breathing. I got it to breathe again and then the third time that this foul smelling poop came out it stopped breathing and I couldn't get it to breathe on its own, the poor thing died! I am not sure what happened, only thing that I can think of is bacterial infection? IDK

Is there any chance that you picked off the scab on it's umbilicus?

-Kathy

No! This was no scab / umbilical, I noticed crusty dried up poop covering it's bun/ rectum I did not pick just placed a warm cloth on it! Not to be nasty but it was like a zit popping! It just squirted out, it almost look like yolk! Maybe it had a blockage?

Back
Top Bottom