Sudden grower feed price increase?

cnicho05

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 22, 2014
Owosso, MI
Hello,

While raising my chickens I've always purchased their feed at one of two locations (TSC or Family Farm and Home). Typically, I can purchase a 50 lbs bag of grower feed for about $10.00 and 50 lbs bags of cracked corn for about $7.00 when there are no specials going on. When either store does have a sale going on I can purchase either of these bags for about 10-25% off the original price...which saves me a LOT of money.

When I went to both stores this last week I quickly uncovered a sudden increase in the price of both feeds and the change of one. Firstly, the grower feed I traditionally purchase is now "starter/grower" and has gone up about $6.00 per bag. Secondly, the cracked corn which I normally purchase has increased by $2.99 per bag (and also decreased by 5 lbs).

With my recent feed purchase exceeding $75.00 I wanted to know if anyone else had seen any sudden increases in feed cost? Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative feed stores?

My feed prices have creeped steadily, but no big recent jumps. Your earlier price sounds very, very low to me, though. My all-in-one feed is $15something a bag, and scratch is I think $12. Last time I bought cracked corn last fall it was only a dollar or two cheaper than the feed.

My feed prices have creeped steadily, but no big recent jumps. Your earlier price sounds very, very low to me, though. My all-in-one feed is $15something a bag, and scratch is I think $12. Last time I bought cracked corn last fall it was only a dollar or two cheaper than the feed.
And some people whine at $ 2.50 to $3.00 per dozen eggs. I think Walmart sells 'Brown' eggs but we producers of free range high quality eggs know what it takes to produce that special flavor and inch-high yolks when the eggs are turned out on to a hot skillet.

For these whiners, as much as any other reason, I looking forward to putting eggs from the Austra-White's eggs this winter....Their eggs should be large to extra large and the shell color should be at best, 'cream colored'...

For the 'whiners' I may increase the price by $.10 or even $.25 cents per dozen, just to watch the veins stick out in the veins on their necks...
lau.gif

I would ask at the store about the sudden (large!) increase. I agree, your earlier costs were quite low. It is strange to have such a big jump in cost though. We pay $14.99 for 50lbs of starter, and $12.99 for 50lbs of lay pellets. I just bought 50lbs of chopped corn at TSC for $8.99 which was a little lower than my feed stores price of $10.99 for 50lbs.

And some people whine at $ 2.50 to $3.00 per dozen eggs. I think Walmart sells 'Brown' eggs but we producers of free range high quality eggs know what it takes to produce that special flavor and inch-high yolks when the eggs are turned out on to a hot skillet.

For these whiners, as much as any other reason, I looking forward to putting eggs from the Austra-White's eggs this winter....Their eggs should be large to extra large and the shell color should be at best, 'cream colored'...

For the 'whiners' I may increase the price by $.10 or even $.25 cents per dozen, just to watch the veins stick out in the veins on their necks...
lau.gif
I am very unapologetic about the price of my eggs (currently $3/dozen). It's a quality product and you either want it or you don't. Most folks don't bat an eye at the price. I did have one couple go on about how they could get eggs so much cheaper at the store----all the while basically telling me I was an idiot for going through chemo and how "all cancer could be cured with the correct nutrition". Sure, you go ahead and cure your cancer with your Wal-Mart eggs. Did I have mixed feelings when their father passed from his bladdar cancer a month later? Yes, yes I did. However, the father was 86 years old and quite ready to go see Jesus, so it was all good.

OP--sorry, not meaning to hijack....

I am very unapologetic about the price of my eggs (currently $3/dozen). It's a quality product and you either want it or you don't. Most folks don't bat an eye at the price. I did have one couple go on about how they could get eggs so much cheaper at the store----all the while basically telling me I was an idiot for going through chemo and how "all cancer could be cured with the correct nutrition". Sure, you go ahead and cure your cancer with your Wal-Mart eggs. Did I have mixed feelings when their father passed from his bladdar cancer a month later? Yes, yes I did. However, the father was 86 years old and quite ready to go see Jesus, so it was all good.

OP--sorry, not meaning to hijack....
Hijack my butt...I love it!!!
lau.gif

I wish my feed was this cheap!!! I am currently paying $26/50 lb bag of both chick starter and broiler grower. With my 35 hens and 11 CX, I go through a bag of each roughly every 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom