Sudden increase of feed consumption

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KickenChicken, Oct 3, 2009.

1. KickenChicken

KickenChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Vista Ca
    I have a three pound feeder that normaly lasts 3 days for my four hens but over the last week they have been going through the three pounds in one day

2 redstars 1 black star and an Easter egger. The red stars and back are 20 weeks old the ee is about a year. the back star and one red star are laying 6 eggs a week each for the last month. One of the red stars has not laied yet and the Easter egger has been molting sence we got them from my aunt two months ago.

Dose any one know why there is a sudden increase of feed consumption

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Could something else be eating it? Just a thought..............

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's what I was thinking...could wild birds be eating it??? Or some other critters??? SOMEONE'S found the lunch line, and it starts at your chickens' feeder.

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I've noticed this too with my ten girls. The food is going so fast. I am thinking perhaps rats are getting in there.

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    My feed consumption has skyrocked in the past couple of days! Im interested too....[​IMG]

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Cooler weather will cause them to eat more.
    Could be visitors too though

7. Big Red

Big Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    I have had the same problem as of yesterday. I believe Bear Foot Farm could be right in saying it is the cool weather. The weather has changed around just in the last week.

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Rats, mice, chipmunks and squirrels. For me the chipmunks were the worse! I couldn't believe how fast they could take the food, store it and come back for more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by