Sudden intestinal prolapse and death in a previously healthy 4-month old Guinea fowl bird

adam_b

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2022
IMG_8623.JPG
IMG_8624.JPG
IMG_8625.JPG
IMG_8626.JPG
Hi Friends,

Thank you for all the interesting information, and for being so helpful. I had hoped to have joined in happier circumstances.

I'm devastated. When I fed my birds this AM they were all happy to see me per usual. We had a barn built for them. It's 12' x 20'. We had until 2 days ago 13 guinea fowl birds. 4 from the first artificial hatch, and 9 from the second hatch (both out of 12 eggs each time). We also have 9 chickens, also hatched artificially. The oldest are the 4 Guineas from the first hatch (18-Mare-22). I picked up and held for a little a couple of my 4-month old Guineas to say hi. At around 1 PM I stopped by the barn (they are not free-ranging yet, as we haven't figured out the predator mitigation yet), and found one dead by 1 of the two pallets we use for their temporary roosting (until we have some put up in the barn). When I turned it, there were no signs of trauma, bites, etc. there was significant intestinal profusion through the vent, and ischemia (I'm a medical doctor), and as with human, when the vasculature to the intestine is occluded ischemia and death rapidly ensues. I'm so devastated and baffled. There is no evidence of any predator having entered the barn which is locked. We are new with these birds, and would appreciate any ideas of what could have happened here. Happy to answer any questions.

It's a terribly sad day here, I wish we didn't get so incredibly attached to animals.

Best
Adam

Very sorry for your loss. When a prolapse occurs, the red internal tissue will attract pecking. So it is possible that the others pecked and pulled out the intestines. The other possibility is that she strained so hard that her large intestines came out. At any rate, she could not survive this. The cloaca is the joining of the oviduct and the large intestines. I would spend some time observing your flock, to see if there is any unusual pecking going on.

Very sorry for your loss. When a prolapse occurs, the red internal tissue will attract pecking. So it is possible that the others pecked and pulled out the intestines. The other possibility is that she strained so hard that her large intestines came out. At any rate, she could not survive this. The cloaca is the joining of the oviduct and the large intestines. I would spend some time observing your flock, to see if there is any unusual pecking going on.
Hi friend, thanks for your kind words. We get so upset, and it's all so new now. Looking at the intestines and prolapsed organs, I believe this could be a male, why would they get a prolapse? Could it be diet related, we started feeding them scraps a few days ago in addition to their starter grower grains. I can't help feel so guilty for holding them, they're pretty strong birds, and though I never thought I would hurt them, now thinking whether they led to the prolapse. Or whether it could have tried to squeeze through the pallet, they try that, and the smaller ones can get through, but that would make me think that it'd be dead between the wooden bars. We lost its sibling 2 days ago, it just vanished in broad day light while we were supervising their brief free-ranging. There are many predators here in Maine, so something must have grabbed it quietly. We literally counted 13 and then 1 was missing. It's been a hard few days getting over that, to now find the above. Poor little thing. Can't reverse time, however any further insights from you and the friends here, to try and avoid any future loses, would be immensely appreciated. Thank you Eggcessive!

Back
Top Bottom