sudden leg weakness in young rooster.. HELP

If they're not walking, stumbling, unable to stand etc, and look Really sick I would say Botulism. If they're not walking, etc, and otherwise have a normal expression on their face, and don't look sick, I would say Marek's.

Before anything, I would do worming like Chickenzoo said , dust for mites, and give them vitamins, esp B vitamins like thiamine. And if you've treated for worms or mites this year, I would not think that's the problem , but it helps to eliminate as many causes as possible.

My prettiest hen and the one in my avatar is having similar issues. She is about 14 weeks old. I have been keeping her in the house so she doesn't get picked on and giving her vitamins, etc. She had problems just with one leg and actually was hopping around really well. She has always had a funny gait though, ever since she was little, she always kind of galloped across the yard. But she sits in her pen, pulling shavings and hay to make a nest around her, will eat and drink and has been doing this for about 2 weeks now. This morning she seems to be more lethargic and having a harder time getting around.

I think I will have my hubby cull her this evening . From what I have been reading on other threads I think she may have Marek's. Not real happy about that. Never ever had that problem in all my years of keeping chickens. Guess there is a first time for everything.
sad.png

My prettiest hen and the one in my avatar is having similar issues. She is about 14 weeks old. I have been keeping her in the house so she doesn't get picked on and giving her vitamins, etc. She had problems just with one leg and actually was hopping around really well. She has always had a funny gait though, ever since she was little, she always kind of galloped across the yard. But she sits in her pen, pulling shavings and hay to make a nest around her, will eat and drink and has been doing this for about 2 weeks now. This morning she seems to be more lethargic and having a harder time getting around.

I think I will have my hubby cull her this evening . From what I have been reading on other threads I think she may have Marek's. Not real happy about that. Never ever had that problem in all my years of keeping chickens. Guess there is a first time for everything.
sad.png
I'm not sure. If she's had this for a while, are you saying it's progressed to not walking at all? If she's lethargic, is she real skinny? Is she pooping bright green? Sometimes they look like they're eating, but they're not. Or they're eating and wasting anyway. And just whither to skin and bones and get tired.

You may want to send her out for a necropsy to be sure. Put body in the fridge and find out where your state animal disease lab is.

My young cockerel this day could not stand at all. He lay on his side. When he tried to get up he was obviously in great discomfort. He wouldn't drink or eat.
My husband put him down.
It was a sad day for us.
I still don't know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom