Sudden Lethargic hen! HELP

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My nearly year old Australorp is acting sick and lethargic. She is standing in a weird position. I checked her vent and couldn't feel an egg. All I could feel was that her vent was surrounded with some mass/muscle. I couldn't feel an egg and she seemed to be in pain with I was checking her.

Her abdomen feels heavy and full. I suspected her for Ascites and even inserted a needle but no fluid came out.

Her vent feathers have poop suck on them and they weren't there yesterday. She has been like that since morning.

Her crop is filled with water and she had been standing quietly next to the waterer. Any idea? @dawg53

Attachments

• 20210818_150305.jpg
    20210818_150305.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210818_150018.jpg
    20210818_150018.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 13
My nearly year old Australorp is acting sick and lethargic. She is standing in a weird position. I checked her vent and couldn't feel an egg. All I could feel was that her vent was surrounded with some mass/muscle. I couldn't feel an egg and she seemed to be in pain with I was checking her.

Her abdomen feels heavy and full. I suspected her for Ascites and even inserted a needle but no fluid came out.

Her vent feathers have poop suck on them and they weren't there yesterday. She has been like that since morning.

Her crop is filled with water and she had been standing quietly next to the waterer. Any idea? @dawg53 @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive
She just pooped.

Attachments

• JPEG_20210818_151452_7390602824868052612.jpg
    JPEG_20210818_151452_7390602824868052612.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 16
If she was constipated and is now acting normal, problem solved.

However, for future reference if she or any other hen becomes eggbound, try this procedure. It works more often than not:
Soak the hen in a container of warm water up to her sides for about 30 minutes. While she's soaking, massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking. If it's just one egg that's stuck, the warm water will relax and expand her innards.
Massaging her underside will encourage her to move the egg along. Then hopefully she'll lay the egg. You can lube her vent with olive oil or vegetable oil to make it easier to lay the stuck egg, IF that's what it is.
Repeat this procedure as necessary.

If she was constipated and is now acting normal, problem solved.

However, for future reference if she or any other hen becomes eggbound, try this procedure. It works more often than not:
Soak the hen in a container of warm water up to her sides for about 30 minutes. While she's soaking, massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking. If it's just one egg that's stuck, the warm water will relax and expand her innards.
Massaging her underside will encourage her to move the egg along. Then hopefully she'll lay the egg. You can lube her vent with olive oil or vegetable oil to make it easier to lay the stuck egg, IF that's what it is.
Repeat this procedure as necessary.
She is not acting normal. She is still in that position and looks tired. Any idea what may he causing her these symptoms?

Attachments

• JPEG_20210818_153612_3560375621352151777.jpg
    JPEG_20210818_153612_3560375621352151777.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 14
She is not acting normal. She is still in that position and looks tired. Any idea what may he causing her these symptoms?
Did anything resolve with your Aussie? I have one right now that is acting similar. She had an impacted crop and I got it clear and now she isn’t walking and falling over when she tries. I don’t think that she is egg bound since I don’t even think that she is a layer. It doesn’t seem to me like she ever matured as her crest and waddles have never been enlarged or red.

Did anything resolve with your Aussie? I have one right now that is acting similar. She had an impacted crop and I got it clear and now she isn’t walking and falling over when she tries. I don’t think that she is egg bound since I don’t even think that she is a layer. It doesn’t seem to me like she ever matured as her crest and waddles have never been enlarged or red.
My hen all fine now!
I gave her a 1 ml of Coconut Oil and some wet bread, which she didn't eat. Massaged her crop and calmed her down.

I know my hen is feeling fine when they try to get out of the sick zone! They run around trying to break through the wires to get to their pals. She was all energectic after an hour of coconut oil. I do suppose she was constipated.

All the best for your hen!

Back
Top Bottom